Sunday, May 19, 2013

Potato Soup for My Soul With a r9/13ecipe 5/1

Good Morning,
The coffee filling my mug is Door County Jamaican Me Crazy Coffee. What a title and what a flavor!

James 1:17          
Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

On a recent Saturday a friend of ours came over to assist me with some home chores. I normally do these myself but I found that my healing knees and ice are not a good mix.

I am an early riser for study and prayer no matter the day. While I was downing some coffee and thinking about all we had to do that day I remembered that my friend really likes soup. The weather here was a true winter that morning. Cold cold and more cold. I decided to whip up a crock pot of potato soup for him to take home. My goal later was to stop at a local bakery and pick up some fresh bread for dunking. (Which I did)

When he arrived he came in for coffee and I told him about the soup and there was a big grin on his face.. You could already smell it simmering away. Later that day he left soup and bread in hand. I thanked him for all the hard work and said "enjoy the soup". There was the biggest smile on his face when he said "oh ya!".

So who was blessed, the receiver or the giver?  Oh my wife was happy that the ice dam on the roof was gone. But I argue that it was me who was most blessed. We made quick work of a nasty chore. But a simple pot of soup made a young man smile and grin. You see that smile meant the world to me. It reminded me how much I am loved by God. I wasn't alone to try and do all that work. I have been blessed with relatives and friends who will help me over these next few weeks. And even being somewhat laid up God sent someone to me that I could be a blessing to.
God shows Himself through others and circumstances. Yesterday with my eyes wide open I saw God at work. And through friend  He smiled at me and grinned.

God bless,
Marty

Baked Potato Soup
Original recipe makes 6 servings

Directions

  1. Bake potatoes 1 hour in a 400 degree F (200 degree C) oven. Scoop out the inside of the potatoes and set aside. Reserve the skins for another recipe or discard.
  2. Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium low heat. Stir in the flour to make a roux. Cook about 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually pour in the milk while stirring until all the milk has been added. Bring heat to medium and keep stirring until the soup mixture starts to get thick.
  3. Add the potatoes, green onions, salt, ground black pepper, bacon and cheese. Stir well and continue to heat for about 15 minutes, allowing the flavors to blend. Stirring well, mix in the sour cream until well blended with the soup. Serve immediately.
  4. You might want to add some bacon pieces that have been fried and dried.

No comments:

Post a Comment