Monday, September 3, 2018

Put That Finger Away 9/4/2018

Good Morning,

Our area has received a lot of rain fall in the last few days. You can actually smell the moisture in the soil. I chose Door County Turtles In A Cup Coffee to help start my day and chase away the dampness. Let's begin.

Yesterday, fairly early in the morning I went to pick up some milk at the local fuel emporium, Low and behold I walked right into two teenage boys coming out of the store and they were headed to their bicycles. They took one look at my truck and recalled where they met me.

A week ago these two were coming down the road headed South. I was headed North. I noticed a commotion in the road up ahead. It was these two thrill seekers weaving into both the South and the North lanes, basically playing "dodge the traffic" with their bikes. They caused quite the disruption. It is amazing that one of these kids was not hurt. As I approached they turned their bikes into the South Lane and were coming head on toward my Ford 250 Pickup. I actually had to stop so the dare devils wouldn't be splattered on to the hood of my truck.

As they passed I glared at them and shrugged my shoulders in disbelief. This must have angered the two bandits and they proceeded to give me a one finger salute. There is no mistaking these kids. They both have a very unique hair cut which besides their stupidity helps them to stand out.

I prayed for the safety of those two and went on about my business of the day. My prayer was that someone, and especially God would have a chat with those two.

Well yesterday there was no way to get to their bikes without going through me. I said good morning to the two "(at this time not too brave ) boys and asked them if they remembered me. They just stood silent. I put out my hand to shake theirs and there was no way they were going to shake my hand. I told them that I was not going to break off their salute fingers and stick them into their ears. But I did say that the thought was running through my mind. Now the days of planting a boot in the rear end of these young and foolish kids is over. But I don't agree with these times. They needed a boot.  I gave them two options little and none. I found out that they were brothers and that narrowed down the options even more. I gave them my telephone number and asked them to have one of their parents call me.  These two hadn't learned a lesson yet.  As they left I saw the oldest one throw out the piece of paper I had given them. They got on their bikes and headed home. Home was not too far away from mine and I followed at a safe distance. They were unaware that I followed them to their driveway. I walked right by the boys and rang the bell. A guy about 40 years old answered and I explained that I meant no harm. My wish was to save his kids and the community from a disaster. He asked the boys if what I said was true. The oldest one did not answer. The younger one did say yes, and then added a but. " But we didn't get hit and there weren't any accidents."  The father thanked me and I offered to pray with them before I left. He allowed me to pray.  The only thing I heard after that was that the boys were to go to their rooms and stay there until he and their mother decided what to do.

Psalm 127 New International Version (NIV)

Psalm 127

A song of ascents. Of Solomon.

Unless the Lord builds the house,
    the builders labor in vain.
Unless the Lord watches over the city,
    the guards stand watch in vain.
In vain you rise early
    and stay up late,
toiling for food to eat—
    for he grants sleep to those he loves.

He thanked me again and said he was sorry that his boys did not even offer an apology for their actions. I asked him if he was willing to send the kids to our church youth group and if he and his boys would allow me to treat them to a steak dinner at our church Men's Steak Feed. I said that it might put the boys on the right path. He declined politely and said." We don't believe in going to church". I knew then that he was fighting a losing battle for his family. I foresee some sleepless nights for this guy and his wife.  He needs God's help and doesn't want it. I am going to pray for them and I doubt I will see those fingers again. I hope I don't see those kids by the side of the road waiting for an ambulance. The next guy might not react to the finger salute like I did.

God bless,

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment