Sunday, September 9, 2018

No Place Like Home For A Visit, But You Don't Live There Anymore 9/9/2018

Good Morning,

My mornings are 99% of the time the same except for my coffee flavor. The flavor changes daily. Today I have a cup of Door County Pumpkin Spice next to me. The dog is parked on my feet. The computer is on. Our dog will take a big drink of water as soon as my note to all of you is finished. It's like he knows when I head in from outside or down the stairs from the den that it is time for him to water up? This happens daily. I think I am in a rut!

I don't place a lot of stock into dreams. I don't dream much at all and I really don't waste time trying to see if there is a message in the dream or an interpretation needed. Some of the dreams I experience are enjoyable and some are not. Dreams are dreams and we can't live in dreams.



Last night was one of those nights where I just wanted to keep on dreaming after waking up from a beautiful dream. My dream took me back to my mother and dad's home in Upper Michigan. As was the custom every year I went to be with them for deer hunting season. My dream had me coming in from the hunt after it turned dark. It was very cold and snowy outside and as I walked into the house the heat from the wood stove greeted me. My mother was at the top of the stairs and greeted me with "did you shoot anything"? I answered "not today". Dad was in the door way and was inviting me to get my heavy clothes hung up and get inside for a hot cup of coffee. I could also smell the fresh rolls that were just retrieved from the oven. This was what we called "Nana Buns". I looked forward to those buns being there every time I made that 5 hour trip. Just as I opened one and filled it with butter my dream was over. Mom and Dad are both gone now and being totally honest this morning I miss them dearly. But today I will make some of those buns myself and have a cup of coffee. I will enjoy some memories and maybe even brush away a couple of tears. I have antlers from one of our deer hunts on the wall in my den. Right across from them is a picture of Mom and Dad. It was a nice visit back to days of old. It needs to stay as a visit and not have me move in back home with a memory. There is a temptation for all of us to let memories take us back to other times. But many of us spend too much time dwelling on the past. When we continue to stay in the past we end up playing the game of I wish I would, I should have, why didn't I, If only I could, or what if. These are dangerous games to play. There is nothing we can change and instead of enjoying a great memory we find that the memory provides an emotional beat down and then depresses us.

There is a fine line between enjoying a memory and having the memory rule your life. I found myself traveling down the wrong road this morning. The feelings of depression started to rule my day instead of me celebrating a good memory and filling this house with the aroma of fresh bread baking in the oven. Friends be careful to not let the past spoil today. You don't live there anymore and you can't move in with the past. I have added some Scripture to help us all move on from the past and not get caught in it.

1. “The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly.” John 10:10 Let God show you the beauty in a new day. Satan wants you to miss it.
2. “And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ.” Philippians 1:6 God knows the road you are on today. He travels it with you.  He is working on you right now.
3. “For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.” Jeremiah 29:11 The past is a nice place to visit, but you can't trade it for today.

God Bless,

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment