Saturday, May 19, 2018

No Place Like Home 5/19/2018

Good Morning,

Two slices of Cherry Pecan Bread and a big cup Of Door County Vanilla Cappuccino Coffee are joining me at the desk this morning. They feel like two trusted companions that have welcomed this traveler home. It's raining outside, so my plans for the day are a little messed up now. But I have plenty of other things that can be done instead. My project list never ends.

I have been away to teach and then obtain some training for work purposes the last few days. The accommodations that were arranged for me were more than just nice. The hotel had everything one could want. Lunch was provided at the training and several nice restaurants were within walking distance from the hotel. So dinner was delicious and easy to come by. But there was something missing besides my cup of Door County Coffee.

2 Corinthians 5:1-7 New King James Version (NKJV)

Assurance of the Resurrection

For we know that if our earthly house, this tent, is destroyed, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens. For in this we groan, earnestly desiring to be clothed with our habitation which is from heaven, if indeed, having been clothed, we shall not be found naked. For we who are in this tent groan, being burdened, not because we want to be unclothed, but further clothed, that mortality may be swallowed up by life. Now He who has prepared us for this very thing is God, who also has given us the Spirit as a guarantee.
So we are always confident, knowing that while we are at home in the body we are absent from the Lord. For we walk by faith, not by sight. We are confident, yes, well pleased rather to be absent from the body and to be present with the Lord.



When I arrived home last night I was greeted with gusto by Gibbs our English Springer Spaniel.  He is the official greeter to all those who enter in through the door. His tail was wagging and he wanted to be petted for a minute. For our furry doorman, petting him is as appropriate as tipping the doorman at an expensive hotel. It is expected and almost mandatory. Gibbs always let's you know that he is happy you arrived and he treats everyone the same.

As I entered in I could also smell something baking or cooking and it did not take me too long to figure out that it was some type of bread that Rene had popped into the oven. That was the second nice greeting to welcome me home. The last one was from Rene. She met me in the kitchen with a smile and said "How was that trip? Welcome home, tell me about it?" I received a hug and all was right once again with my world.

Later when I crawled into bed, I prayed and thanked God for a bed to come home to, and for those two that greeted me at the door. I said to God. "There is no place like home". I pondered that for a moment before falling into a deep sleep filled with contentment. There is another home waiting for me some day and I can only imagine that greeting. In the blink of an eye it will happen and I will be in the presence of Jesus. I believe my greeting last night was so nice and warm, that is was just a small example of what waits in store for us as we trust Jesus to welcome us home with Him some day. Yesterday God gave me just a little taste of what it might be like to be "Welcomed Home".

God bless,

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment