Wednesday, May 16, 2018

It's That Time Of The Year Again 5/16/2018

Good Morning,

It is morning once more and it is time to smell the Door County Chocolate Cherry Coffee. It is a nice aroma to wake up to.



It's that time of the year again. Winter has officially left our part of the world. Nature sent us our annual message via the fruit trees and lilacs in our yard. It seems like just last week (and it was) that there wasn't much sign of life in the branches of our trees. A few warm days, plenty of rain and the yard is alive once more with blossoms. I  look forward to this marking of time every year.

If Saturday cooperates I will spray the fruit trees to protect the fruit beneath the blossoms and I will pray over the trees. I will ask God to provide a good apple crop for us to preserve and share. It is an annual ritual for me.

Deuteronomy 8:10

When you have eaten and are satisfied, praise the LORD your God for the good land he has given you.
 
Those trees have provided a yield of apples every year since 1996. Some years were more abundant than others, but we always ate of the fruit in our yard. Many times we were able to share in the bounty with others. One family always comes to mind when I think of the apple harvest. More than apples were shared under those trees. The harvest was always filled with laughter and fun. I can still see apples falling on the heads of a couple of the their kids.

We learned a long time ago that it is God who provides the harvest and we are to be thankful in much or little. God gets the praise for the trees, the water, the sunshine and the sweetness within the fruit.

I will watch those trees all summer and enjoy their shade and anticipate with eagerness the first apple that falls. I clean it off on my sleeve or my pants before I eat it. I will do it like Grandpa taught me to do. I will smile as I recall eating green apples with him while listening to fish tales and railroad folklore.

I see the blossoms and I know that we are blessed to have lived here. I thank God for every year and everyone who has stepped foot in this yard. I will look up and smile because of God, the apple trees and His annual gift to us.

God bless,

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment