Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Fishing 101 1/22/14



Good Morning World,

Frigid air here in Wisconsin USA. My coffee was warmed just a little more. I chose for my flavor today Door County Coconut Crush. I have decided that spilling is ok as long as it warms your body. That's my excuse for coffee stains on my tie.

My grandfather loved to fish. He would spend hours fishing and then would make sure that my Aunt Betty and my Dad both had fish for their families to eat all year long. I ate many a fish supper on Fridays as a kid. My grandpa fished alone the majority of the time in his little honey holes. But he especially enjoyed having some of the family fish with him when we would come for a visit. As a young boy I learned how to bait a hook, cast a fly rod, work a lure, what time to fish according to the lunar cycles, where to cast your bait, and why the road was wet even in the hottest July days. ( underground springs). He was a teacher. I really believe he was pulling my leg about cigar smoke keeping mosquitoes away. I still like to fish occasionally and it all comes back to me and I can usually come up with a fish dinner at the end of the day. You see, besides giving us some fish, he taught us how to fish that we might enjoy a fish fry long after he was gone.

I teach a Bible study for men on Tuesday nights. My goal is this. I want the men to learn how to study the Bible not just listen to me. I have begun teaching them to use the references in their Bible, use commentaries, use multiple versions of the Bible, and then read forward from a verse and backwards if need be to get the whole meaning and context. As we have done this I see their eyes illuminated to things they have never heard or seen before. I am teaching them to fish! They then can teach their families to not only read the Bible but study it. What we are doing is clearly scriptural. Below are some references as to why we should STUDY the Bible.

2 Timothy 3:16-17                    

All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work.

2 Timothy 3:14-17                    

But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have firmly believed, knowing from whom you learned it and how from childhood you have been acquainted with the sacred writings, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work.

Psalm 119:11                    

I have stored up your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you.

2 Timothy 2:15                     

Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who has no need to be ashamed, rightly handling the word of truth.

We would all do well to fish instead of being a life long sponge hoping to soak up some wisdom from other's studies. After awhile sponges fall apart and smell.

Fish On!! Oh that's fisherman talk to say "hey one's on the line. Just taught you something!

God bless,
Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment