Thursday, November 28, 2013

Thanksgiving Day Better Than I Deserve11/28/13

Good Morning Dear Friends Near and Far.

Thanksgiving Day in America. I woke up early as usual and the fireplace is crackling with a hot fire. The fresh bread in the oven makes the whole house smell like a bakery. My wife and grandson are still both asleep. I was greeted by two energetic Springer Spaniels this morning as they supervised me starting the smoker filled with pork loins. It is quiet and peaceful. Now to spend time with God and my old friend the coffee cup which is filled with another dear friend Door County Maple Coffee.

It is a custom around the world when greeting people to say hello and "how are you". Most of the time this greeting is exchanged back by the other person with both replying "fine, OK, great, so so, could be better, or a myriad of other answers. I thought about this long and hard for Thanksgiving Day.

I should reply when asked "how are you? Better than I deserve". Let me explain. I will use Scripture from the Bible to put it in God's Words.

Romans 3:23 (NIV)

23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, This applies to me and everyone.

Romans 6:23(NIV)

23 For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in[a] Christ Jesus our Lord.
This is life eternal spent in hell away from God. According to the verse above I qualify for hell as well as everyone else.

John 3:16 (NIV)

16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.  But God's plan is to offer an alternative and that is forgiveness for sin through His Son Jesus. Jesus paid the price for my sins and the sins of the world.

On July 7th 1981 during some very trying times for me I read the following Bible verse.

Matthew 11:28-30

New International Version (NIV)
28 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” I realized that I was in need of a Savior and that my path was leading to hell. I invited Jesus into my heart that night. You can do this also today.

Jesus left no doubt that He will return again to complete His mission of salvation for mankind:
"Don't be troubled. You trust God, now trust in me. There are many rooms in my Father's home, and I am going to prepare a place for you. If this were not so, I would tell you plainly. When everything is ready, I will come and get you, so that you will always be with me where I am." (NLT, John 14:1-4)

 1 Thessalonians 4:16
"For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout,
with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God:
and the dead in Christ shall rise first:"
 
So when people ask "how are you"? I should reply "better than I deserve". Because Jesus will return for each and everyone who has received Him as Lord and Savior by faith. So as I am counting my blessings today as others will. I will thank Him in advance because He will come some day for me. How about you? Thankful for your salvation in Christ? Need a Savior today? Two actions here to take. Both are up to you. I have an old hymn on my mind. Many of you older folks will recall it. I have copied it below.

God bless,
Marty

504. The Old Rugged Cross

Text: George Bennard, 1873-1958
Music: George Bennard, 1873-1958
Tune: ---, Meter: Irr. with Refrain

1. On a hill far away stood an old rugged cross,
 the emblem of suffering and shame;
 and I love that old cross where the dearest and best
 for a world of lost sinners was slain.
Refrain:
 So I'll cherish the old rugged cross,
 till my trophies at last I lay down;
 I will cling to the old rugged cross,
 and exchange it some day for a crown.

2. O that old rugged cross, so despised by the world,
 has a wondrous attraction for me;
 for the dear Lamb of God left his glory above
 to bear it to dark Calvary.
 (Refrain)

3. In that old rugged cross, stained with blood so divine,
 a wondrous beauty I see,
 for 'twas on that old cross Jesus suffered and died,
 to pardon and sanctify me.
 (Refrain)

4. To that old rugged cross I will ever be true,
 its shame and reproach gladly bear;
 then he'll call me some day to my home far away,
 where his glory forever I'll share.
 (Refrain)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment