Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Deer Season in Wisconsin and the Bible. 11/19/13

Good Morning,

Tuesday and my day started real early. So my cup is filled with Door County Pumpkin Spice Coffee and a prayer on my lips sends me off to begin a new day.

This weekend the Wisconsin Rifle Deer season will begin. The "army of orange" will hit the woods. I have enjoyed many a season waiting and watching for that big buck that would fill my freezer and hang on my wall. I have pretty much resigned myself to bird hunting and waterfowl now. As I look over my shoulder I see my deer rifles in the locker. There are many fond memories of family and friends that I hunted with. Some now are gone to be with our Lord. So I have a soft spot for the deer hunters of my memory. We had a lot of fun. I would do it all again.

Later in life I received Jesus Christ as Savior. Deer hunting can be a lot of sitting and waiting. Some how the waiting and watching became more fun after receiving Jesus into my heart. I found that during those long hours of the hunt I had more time to pray for others. I started to place a small Bible into my hunters seat. ( a pail with a lid) I still have that Bible. (1981) Once the sun came up I would pull the Bible out and read it, listen for God, pray and read some more. Quite often I would be interrupted by a deer that I harvested. But I so looked forward to seeing the beauty of nature and spending long hours with God. The Bible pages were stained from snow flakes, rain, and an occasional tear. To tell you the truth there were times that I am sure deer walked by and I did not see them because I just could not put down the Word of God and close out our time together. I often duck hunt alone and do the same thing.

Friends, there are 66 books in the Bible. I believe in each one as the inspired word of my Holy Father in Heaven. There is not one chapter, one verse, one word that I do not believe came from God. I believe it has the power to touch lives, heal wounded hearts and be used by the Holy Spirit to lead people to Jesus. I believe I can find instructions for living in the Bible.

Pull yours off the shelf, dust it off, open it up and expect it to be alive. Expect it to teach you, correct you, direct you, challenge you, deliver a message of love and hope form the Father, give you hope and courage. After all it is God speaking to you from His word.

2 Timothy 3:16-17 (NIV)

16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17 so that the servant of God[a] may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.

Enjoy some time in God's word. It's OK to binge read.

God bless,
Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment