Saturday, September 21, 2013

Chicken and Dumplings 9/21/13

Good Afternoon,

I started my day without computer access so this is a little late. My coffee this morning was some Door County Cherry Crème.

Over the last few days I have been visiting my Dad in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. The plan was to hunt grouse and relax. The weather is seems had different ideas for us. We did hunt a bit but we were constantly nagged by rain.

On Thursday we stopped in to eat supper at a small diner and I was quite surprised to see that they had chicken and dumplings on the menu. For me it was a pleasant surprise because that is one of my favorite meals. As I was eating I could not help but think of some of the times when my mother would make that same dish for my brother, my nephews and me. Those were some fond memories. The one thing we never counted on is that she would be gone some day and we would not know how to make that savory delight. Her recipe and technique passed away with her.

There are many days that I wish I could make one last phone call to her and say some of the things that I never got to say and maybe even ask for the recipe. I do recall her wanting to show me how to make it, but of course I was too busy.

Job 14:5 New Life Version (NLV)

A man’s days are numbered. You know the number of his months. He cannot live longer than the time You have set.

Friends take some time to "smell the dumplings". Spend time with your loved ones. One thing is certain we will all die some day. It could even be you that goes first. Our days are numbered. make the most of them and don't forget learn from those who can teach you something. Love hard, love fast, love soon.

God bless,
Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment