Saturday, August 17, 2013

Treasure Hunting 8/17/13

Good Morning,

Happy Saturday to you. Time for a cup of Door County Blueberry Cobbler Coffee and headed off for some dog training on the water. Time for the fine tune before Goose Hunting Season starts.

Matthew 6:19-21 (NKJV)

Lay Up Treasures in Heaven

19 “Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal; 20 but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

I will admit that I do like to watch the occasional television show that follows people in search of hidden treasures. Some look in abandoned storage lockers, old buildings, deserted mines, at the bottom of the sea, rummage sales, antique shops, or estate sales. I think I watched every documentary they have filmed on the Titanic. My wife and I went to see the traveling Titanic exhibit and thought about what it would cost to own just one dinner plate from the Titanic. I did convince her that it was much cheaper to purchase an antique dinner plate back from the time when Walgreens had sandwich counters. If you remember that, you are at least as old as me. But you see, all these things are only worth money if someone is willing to buy them. I am sure after we pass on our heirs will say "what good is one plate from Walgreens? Just toss it out." And I know for sure that my spirit will not waltz into heaven with my bag of treasures collected over the years.

I read where a young lady recently found a sizable amount of cash hidden within the walls of a home that she just purchased. The home had been in one family since it was built in the 1920's. She tracked down the family and gave them the money. She felt that since the home had always been within the family it belonged to the last surviving owner. The last owner was a young couple who sold the home to pay doctor bills for their little boy. This young lady could have purchased a pretty nice car and pay in cash with what she found.

I say her heart treasured blessing others and her heart was in the right place. Scripture says for us to 
"lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven". The next time your local food pantry runs out of food for those who are in need will you take something out of the cupboard that is just ready to expire or go to the store and purchase some of the better items that will last and be nutritional? What do you treasure most? Things of this Earth or Heavenly treasure? Where are our hearts?

God bless,
Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment