Friday, August 9, 2013

Nehemiah and Prayer

Good Morning.

Starting what will be a long day with a hot cup of Door County Peanut Butter Crunch Coffee. I pray that your day will be one of peace joy, and happiness found in the Lord.

Today I am going to try something different. I am going to print a passage from the book of Nehemiah and then add my comments between verses. Then I am going to ask you to see where you fall in line with the Scripture and comments. This is the Marty Commentary!

Nehemiah 1

New International Version (NIV)

Nehemiah’s Prayer

The words of Nehemiah son of Hakaliah:
In the month of Kislev in the twentieth year, while I was in the citadel of Susa, Hanani, one of my brothers, came from Judah with some other men, and I questioned them about the Jewish remnant that had survived the exile, and also about Jerusalem. This was what was left after 100 years of exile.
They said to me, “Those who survived the exile and are back in the province are in great trouble and disgrace. The wall of Jerusalem is broken down, and its gates have been burned with fire.Their city was in ruins.
When I heard these things, I sat down and wept. For some days I mourned and fasted and prayed before the God of heaven. Then I said: Notice that Nehemiah went to prayer for days and he fasted. His prayer was filled with emotion.
Lord, the God of heaven, the great and awesome God, who keeps his covenant of love with those who love him and keep his commandments, Nehemiah knows who he is praying to. The custom of pagans was to pray to many Gods. Many Israelites had fallen into that habit. Nehemiah prayed to the one and only God.  let your ear be attentive and your eyes open to hear the prayer your servant is praying before you day and night for your servants, the people of Israel. I confess the sins we Israelites, including myself and my father’s family, have committed against you. Notice as he interceded that he admitted being in sin as well as the sins of others. He knew how holy he wasn't. We have acted very wickedly toward you. We have not obeyed the commands, decrees and laws you gave your servant Moses.
“Remember the instruction you gave your servant Moses, saying, ‘If you are unfaithful, I will scatter you among the nations, but if you return to me and obey my commands, then even if your exiled people are at the farthest horizon, I will gather them from there and bring them to the place I have chosen as a dwelling for my Name.’ He knew God's promises.
10 “They are your servants and your people, whom you redeemed by your great strength and your mighty hand. 11 Lord, let your ear be attentive to the prayer of this your servant and to the prayer of your servants who delight in revering your name. Give your servant success today by granting him favor in the presence of this man.” Nehemiah knew that he would be going before the king and needed the help of God. He asked for what he was afraid about.

Friends what type of prayer life do you have? Do you intercede for others with a "High and Mighty Attitude? Or do you remember that you too are imperfect before God and admit it. Where do you draw the line on prayer time? Notice Nehemiah prayed day and night before God.  

Makes you wonder what our world would be like if we all prayed like Nehemiah.

Tomorrow I will continue the story of Nehemiah. Let's see how this ends.

God bless,
Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment