Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Corn bread and Contentment 8/27/13 With a recipe

Good Morning.

Headed off early this morning running out the door with a cup of Door County Chocolate Meltdown Coffee.

My mother had an aunt named Hazel. Hazel lived in the Milwaukee area and was more like an aunt to us than she was to our mother. Hazel was a strong Christian who believed in Jesus as Lord and Savior. She loved to play board games, especially Parcheesi. As kids we would visit and there would be some long nights playing Parcheesi with the family.

Just before she passed on and I was visiting, we were actually recalling those nights and laughing together. She asked me what I liked best about those nights. I hesitated to tell her what it really was. But there was no time like that moment to be honest. I told her that I always looked forward to having a piece of her corn bread when we visited. Hazel could make corn bread like no one else I know. She said " I know. We used to watch you and when we ate our meal your corn bread was gone first. And if you asked for seconds on anything it was always the corn bread.". I guess my love for corn bread didn't fool anyone. She told me that she enjoyed corn bread too. She went on and reminded me that our mother had been sick quite a bit when we were younger and that she always thought that game night, and a meal with some corn bread would be a treat and comfort for a young family. As I get older I can see God at work in our lives even when we were little kids. He provided a jolly, laughing lady with corn bread to brighten my day. I can't help but eat a piece of corn bread without thinking about her. You might not be a corn bread expert but you can be a person who shows compassion. Ask God to open your eyes and show you something you can do for someone that would be their corn bread. You see what she did lasts a life time. When I eat a piece of corn bread and think of those great times I find that the things bothering me leave for awhile and I find contentment. Here is the secret to being content.

Philippians 4:6-9
Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.

Won't you be the corn bread for someone today?

God bless,
Marty

Ingredients


 Hazel's Cornbread


Original recipe makes 9 servings                    


 

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease an 8 inch square pan.
  2. Melt butter in large skillet. Remove from heat and stir in sugar. Quickly add eggs and beat until well blended. Combine buttermilk with baking soda and stir into mixture in pan. Stir in cornmeal, flour, and salt until well blended and few lumps remain. Pour batter into the prepared pan.
  3. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment