Monday, August 5, 2013

Jesus and the ten Lepers 8/5/13

Good Morning,

I am starting today with a big cup of Door County Hawaiian Hazelnut Coffee and back to physical therapy and work. My recent mission trip to Washington DC took me out of rhythm on the therapy and I need to resume where I left off on my shoulder. I want to say that I feel much better and it is still coming along nicely. Thanks to all who prayed for me and helped the Mrs. and me during the early weeks.

Luke 17:11-19 (NIV)

Jesus Heals Ten Men With Leprosy

11 Now on his way to Jerusalem, Jesus traveled along the border between Samaria and Galilee. 12 As he was going into a village, ten men who had leprosy met him. They stood at a distance 13 and called out in a loud voice, “Jesus, Master, have pity on us!”
14 When he saw them, he said, “Go, show yourselves to the priests.” And as they went, they were cleansed.
15 One of them, when he saw he was healed, came back, praising God in a loud voice. 16 He threw himself at Jesus’ feet and thanked him—and he was a Samaritan.
17 Jesus asked, “Were not all ten cleansed? Where are the other nine? 18 Has no one returned to give praise to God except this foreigner?” 19 Then he said to him, “Rise and go; your faith has made you well.”

There can be two lessons found here, maybe more. But we will just look at two.
Ten lepers were healed by Jesus but only one came back to thank Him and all ten should have.  While I was in DC last week early one morning we were bringing sack lunches to homeless people living in a park on a rainy morning. We talked about it later. I asked, "did anyone say thank you"? The answer surprised me a little. Each person who was handing out food said " there wasn't one who didn't say thank you". Most all of these accepted our offers to pray with them and they shared needs and requests.

Later that day when we were ministering in another more upscale park handing out free ice cold bottled water on a day that turned extremely hot and humid I noticed something else. Many of the people who were well dressed and heading somewhere would say "sure" when asked if they wanted the water. Then quite a few just went on without saying thank you. Most, when asked if we could pray for them or if they needed prayer said no.

Notice who was thankful. Those who had the least! We all need to thank and praise God for each and every thing we are given.

Second lesson.
During the morning while handing out the food. One lady said to one of the teens and myself. "Please sit down for awhile and eat some of my crackers with me. You have given to me and I want to give back. Please let me enjoy your company for awhile". So we sat and ate a cracker that she had given us and we talked and prayed with her. Then she prayed for us. Who was blessed? We were!

The next day we were cleaning the fountain at Union Station. It was a mess like I cannot describe. Things cleaned out of there are best left unmentioned. As I was struggling with a pile of refuse that needed to go to a dumpster across the street I had to push a button that would allow for a pedestrian to cross. Some of the same upscale folks that we gave water to the day before saw me struggling. I did not expect them to help carry the refuse. Some of it was infested with lice. But yet not even an assist pushing the button or a thank you for cleaning a mess where they worked and passed by each day.

Now friends we did everything we did not looking for praise or thanks. Our goal was to reach people for Jesus and be obedient to our call from God. Rewards were not what we desired.

Friends thank God each day if you have a place to sleep, some food to eat, a job and family. Say thank you to one another. Praise Him for the peanut butter and jelly sandwich that you might be eating. I saw others cry and praise God for some chips and a ham sandwich. Don't walk by someone who needs a hand crossing the street. Take time, our rewards are in heaven, but I will never forget the smiles and tears we saw.

God bless,
Marty

1 comment:

  1. Yes, Marty, we are not on the streets. Like I always said. We forget there are people who are and have nothing and yet those are the most grateful people. They (the poor) have alot more peace than the ones that have more, but less. There is an old saying, "less is more" and I totally agree with this. The more you have, the less you feel like you have more. Great testimony. Glad you are back safe.

    ReplyDelete