Sunday, January 20, 2013

When you are needed 1/20/2013

Good morning,
Just finishing up the last of my Door County Coffee Holiday Flavors. White Christmas is in the cup!

A couple days ago I received a call that one of our young pastors from my church may have had a heart attack and was on his way to the hospital by ambulance. As I prayed I thought  "4 little kids and a wife, help us Lord."
I was just leaving work and started to head that way so I could pray with him and his wife. I informed my wife that I would be a little late and why. She asked "where are the kids?" I told her that I would find out and let her know.

Here's the story. We are "empty nesters" and have a lot of time to ourselves. Our kids live 1100 miles away. It does get a little boring with just each other from time to time. And our visits with the kids are not frequent enough.,

At the hospital the doctors told us that it wasn't a heart attack but it was serious. It seems his lung collapsed and he would need a thoracic procedure to inflate the lung and a hospital stay was imminent. Then they would check the next day to see if it would stay inflated. I stayed with our pastor and his wife. We prayed and chatted and I went home after the procedure. We knew he was going to a room and doing better.

During this time, we knew the kids, although very capable were home with each other, the oldest being 12 and the rest younger with one little rascal named Caleb!  My wife went to sit with the kids and pray with them. Later she told me how wonderful they were and the oldest girl gave her assignments as to what they needed done so mom would be pleased with the way the house looked when she got home. They all worked together and the littlest ones went to bed after reading my wife a story!!!!!

Well long story short, my wife came home full of life and I knew God had been with all of us. My Dear Friend and Pastor was hurting yet we felt blessed. We saw God's hand at work to restore his health. No one sat alone. And we were needed! Not that I am a tragedy seeker for my needs. But God used us and it felt good.
You are as lonely as you choose to be. And you have no excuses. Why? The Bible says we all have talents to be used for others. Are you willing to be used, less lonely and more content?

1 Peter 4:10         
As each has received a gift, use it to serve one another, as good stewards of God's varied grace:         1 Peter 4:10-11          
As each has received a gift, use it to serve one another, as good stewards of God's varied grace: whoever speaks, as one who speaks oracles of God; whoever serves, as one who serves by the strength that God supplies—in order that in everything God may be glorified through Jesus Christ. To him belong glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen.

Have a great day. Spend it with someone.
Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment