Sunday, January 27, 2013

Pheasant. It's what's for supper. Devotional and Recipe 1/27/2013

Good morning. Ahhh Sunday
A day of worship, a day of rest, a day to be grateful. I am starting today with a cup of Door County Hawaiian Hazelnut Coffee.

Today is the Sabbath, a day of worship to our God and King. This loving God sent His Son Jesus to die for our sins and atone for us. That is the one thing I am grateful for, more than anything.

John 3:16New King James Version (NKJV)

16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.


What does this have to do with pheasants? I am glad you are asking that. When I think of all that Jesus did by dying for me it makes me stand in awe and wonder. You all know that I am an avid hunter and enjoy watching my dogs flush a bird and with any luck I can hit it and bring it home for supper. Before I hunt I ask God to bless me with safety and if it is His will that I can bring something home. 
Jesus tells us to pray and ask in His name.
 

If you ask anything in My name, I will do it.

But when I think about all that I pray for and compare the suffering, shame and death on a cross for me, how can I even ask for anything more? That's how much we are loved by God, He blesses us with salvation through His only Son and yet He tells us to bring our concerns to Him also. Now if that isn't love than the oceans are dry and eagles don't fly.

1 Peter 5:7
Casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you.
 
I added my favorite pheasant recipe for you.
God bless
Marty
PS: It works with  turkey or chicken too.
PHEASANT AND WILD RICE SOUP

7 c. pheasant stock
1 c. wild rice, rinsed, and cooked.
1/2 c. diced onion
1/2 c. diced carrots
1/2 c. celery
2 strips smoked bacon, diced
4 tbsp. unsalted butter
Toasted almonds
1/2 c. sliced mushrooms
1 1/2 c. heavy cream
2 tbsp. flour
Salt
Pepper (fresh white)
2 tbsp. minced parsley
1/4 c. Non alcohol red wine
Make stock. Bone pheasant and reserve.Rinse rice and boil in 2 cups water for 3 minutes. Drain and repeat boiling again for 2 minutes. Drain.Saute rice, onion, celery, carrots and bacon in 2 tablespoons butter in Dutch oven until vegetables are crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Stir in stock. Heat stirring constantly, to boiling; reduce heat. Add pheasant, this should be boned and cut or shredded into bite size pieces. Simmer covered, stirring occasionally for 40 minutes or until the rice is tender.Add mushrooms. Stir in 1 cup of cream. Mix the remaining 2 tablespoons butter and the flour in small bowl; whisk into soup. Cook, stirring constantly until soup thickens and bubbles 1 minute. Add wine and almonds. Stir in the remaining 1/2 cup cream if you want a thinner soup. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve immediately, sprinkle with parsley, in a warm tureen.
 

 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment