Saturday, June 30, 2018

Advice For The Groom 6/30/2018

Good Morning,

I just sat down with a mug of Door County Chocolate Raspberry Truffle Coffee. My prayers need to be without ceasing these days and the mornings just seem to be the best time to pray the hardest.



Today I will be officiating at the wedding of a young couple. We have been meeting for weeks and we have covered all the usual subjects from spiritual to practical. It has been a blessing to be part of their lives and I look forward to a beautiful ceremony and celebration later today.

This morning I made an appointment to meet with the groom just to have a little breakfast and talk. I will be taking off the preacher hat and although we will pray, my goal is just to have a man to man talk. This is where I will pass on this advice to him.

Rene and I have been married as she says "for a thousand years" and the one thing I will pass on to my young friend is this. "Get out of bed early".

I will explain to him that every day is different, every year will have some good and some bad days. You never know what is going to happen and when. The events of life can be big or they can be small. Some are overcome easily and some are just plain old difficult.

For instance, job losses, illnesses for yourself or your families. Death is always a part of life and will need to be dealt with. Automobiles don't last forever and when they break down is never on a day made for it.. Babies learn to get their days and nights mixed up. Theft happens in some lives. Identities are stolen. Roofs have a mind of their own and leak out of the clear blue for no reason. The dryer breaks just as you leave for a mission trip. Kids are a blessing and can be a challenge from time to time. Parents will age and need attention. Neighbors come and go and the new ones can be a pain in the rump. Storms can be scary and coming home after a tornado has gone through the neighborhood can be terrifying to say the least. Pets, will not last forever.

This just might scare this young fella to the marrow of his bones. But it really shouldn't, most of this is just a part of life that I have faced. It is pretty much the same for everyone. Then I will tell him that I never faced any of this alone. God was there with me, and my wife stood next to me and we faced it together. I would do every day again because it was those days in the past that made me what I am today. It's the days in the future that will be faced the same way. God is never my copilot. He is the pilot of this life.

The reason I say to "Get up early" is this. Start each day with prayer and ask for wisdom as to how to face the day.  Be ahead of your wife and family. Lead them with God's wisdom.

James 1:5

If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him.

James 3:17

But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, open to reason, full of mercy and good fruits, impartial and sincere.

Proverbs 3:13-18

Blessed is the one who finds wisdom, and the one who gets understanding, for the gain from her is better than gain from silver and her profit better than gold. She is more precious than jewels, and nothing you desire can compare with her. Long life is in her right hand; in her left hand are riches and honor. Her ways are ways of pleasantness, and all her paths are peace. ...

Ephesians 5:15-17

Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise, making the best use of the time, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is.

What ever will be will be, but be prepared each day to notice the blessings and celebrate them. Appreciate the slow, easy days and enjoy your family. But always be prepared for even the little strains on life. Get up early and pray for wisdom.

Pass it on,

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment