Sunday, June 17, 2018

Dad, Grandpa And Fathers Day 6/17/2018

Good Morning,

A beautiful day is on the rise. Fathers Day, Sunday, and cup of Door County Blueberry Cobbler Coffee is  at my side to help me enjoy another day of life. As I sit outside on the patio to write which I hope to be doing every month of the year, despite the cold weather coming in the fall, I cannot help but think that if we all sat down to a cup of coffee together, add a couple of biscuits, and honey we as a world might not see each other as enemies. I will make the coffee, and the biscuits, the light is on, you're all welcome to come. Happy Fathers Day to all those out there who have or are raising kids. Your job description is a tough one.



Both men in my life taught me the value of making things last. One made it through the great depression and both lived during World War Two. Those were tough times and very lean for work, pay and supplies just to make it through a day.

(Proverbs 27:23,24 GNB)  Look after your sheep and cattle as carefully as you can, because wealth is not permanent.  Not even nations last forever.

Here is what their experiences taught them and it was handed down to me.

1. When you can, buy quality items. They last longer.

2. Take care of what you own. It was a gift from God and your hard work. That's why I seal any work or hunting boots three times before I wear them. And then I have a plan to maintain them. I just replaced a pair of boots and Rene remembered that the original purchase was from Sears 20 years ago. She said " You made those things last"  I just smiled.

3. Go to work and be reliable. Your name has to be good where you work.

4. Share what you have, someone always has it worse. Grandpa kept his family members well stocked with fish and berries right up until he couldn't fish. It's ok to live off of the land. Keep the land clean and pure, pick up your trash. The land is not your own, it's just there for you to use.

5. As long as you are working, save some money, and avoid debt at all costs. Debt occurred in our home due to bad circumstances. I lived during those lean years and knew just how much my Dad loved us because he worked two and sometimes three jobs. He had a wife and three kids to feed and the oldest was able to down a lot of food. When Dad was crabby, it was when he did not see light at the end of the tunnel. He saw light at the end of the tunnel and I remember the day when my parents paid off a huge medical bill.

6. Show up and support the family by being there. Christmas and special occasions are made to be together. What I wouldn't give to be able to travel again just to hear my daughter sing in church, or to watch her fly through the air as a cheerleader. Kristy that is a hint and I don't expect cartwheels.

Dads are often imitated and all of us have flaws. But hopefully we are imitated for the good things more often than the bad things. I drink my coffee from a cup that has a picture of my great grand father, my grandpa, my dad and a little guy with the same first name who was hell on wheels and hard to hold still for a picture. That little guy is me. When I see that picture as I head off to work. I see love because they taught me through good examples to be faithful to family, go to work, pay my bills, hunt and fish, respect the land and to keep my feet dry.

Dads and grandfathers, you wear many hats. But each day you wear the hat of a teacher, whether you realize it or not. Class is in session.

Have a great day!!!

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment