Friday, June 8, 2018

Men, Women And Gas Stations 6/8/2018

Good Morning,

Friday arrived right on time once again, just when I needed it to. So right after some prayer time I will pour a road cup of Door County Chocolate Cherry Coffee and start out for work.



I have been slowly working on a dining table room restoration project in the garage at night. When I say slowly, I mean at a turtle's pace. But tonight I will put in a few consecutive hours and it won't be too long before it starts to take shape.

Last night after working on the table, I asked Rene if she would like an ice cream cone and I could have predicted that loud "yes" that came from the house. We also needed to purchase some milk and we do that at our local gasoline station. Their milk is reasonably priced and the location is close to the custard stand.

We were talking about a little survey that I have been gathering data on. I have been stopping at this gas station every morning for a week at 6:15AM. Then I stop at the same gas station on my way home. That time frame varies fro 4:30PM- 6:45 PM  At 6:15 AM the ratio of men to women in the gas station is about 13 men to 1woman. At 4:30 -5:30 PM the ratio is flipped to 8 women and 3-4 men. After 5:30 PM it switches again to 5 men to 2 women.

I asked Rene what she thought about my statistics. She was very candid and said that men procrastinate and buy gas only when necessary. She concluded with this. Men also seem to run out of gas more than women. Rene said " I see more men with a small can of gas on the highway than I see women. She then became the radio that wouldn't shut off. "Further more women take longer to get ready in the morning. Needing gas is not an option for a mother who has to get her children up and off to school." I was going to agree with her about women taking longer to get ready, but I was afraid for my life. I had no idea that my statistics would be a 30 minute discussion. I just listened.

Philippians 2:4 New International Version (NIV)
not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others

Now what does this have to do with anything? Well it just goes to show you that people and genders are different. What is comfortable and works best for one person, might not work for the next person. But in both of these instances, there is no harm and nothing foul, so far.  Our priorities might also be different. Rene likes having a full gas tank in the morning. I prefer not stopping for anything on my way home from work and filling up in the morning gives me more radio and coffee time. Neither of our opinions is a sin, they are just different. But we need to learn about each other's differences just in case our indifferences cause the other anxiety or anger. I do tend to use most of the gas tank before filling up. We do switch vehicles between the two of us and I can imagine when Rene gets into one of our vehicles and it isn't at least over half full of gasoline it might cause her to sin by thinking nasty thoughts about me. My not caring about her burden might cause her to be angry or to worry. Thus my preference is a burden to someone else.

Food for thought on this Friday in June,

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment