Saturday, March 25, 2017

Trimming The Branches Of Your Life. Spring Clean Up. 3/25/2017

Good Morning,

The old mug was just filled with Door County Cherry Crème Coffee. It has been joined with some Cream of Wheat Cereal and a glass of orange juice. This is a breakfast that will warm me up on this dreary and rainy day in Wisconsin.

John 15:1-3New International Version (NIV)
15 “I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful.
 
 
 
As I gaze out of the second story window of our den, I can get a pretty good view of our apple trees and our flowering trees. The winter hasn't been very kind to some of them. But most are ready to start coming back to life. I noticed two trees in particular that will need some trimming. One has a branch that is healthy, but it is growing in such a way that when it fruits out, it will not allow sunshine to reach other branches. It needs to be trimmed in such a manner that others might grow. Do you desire all of the attention when you are with others?   The other one out of the clear blue, has a branch that decided to grow in a direction that is causing damage to the house. It is now rubbing on the siding and in high winds makes a noise that keeps Rene awake. Next week it too will be trimmed and redirected. The tree when it is flowering is very beautiful it is causing damage to those around it. Do you cause damage to those around you?
 
God often uses circumstances in our lives to trim us up a bit and straighten us out. Sometimes when we become selfish and we reach for more than our own share of sunshine, we experience something that sets us back a bit.  I for one am not always very good at giving sympathy. This last year I learned how to receive it.  I went for a haircut this week and the experience was pleasant. I chose to be trimmed up. I recall a day, way back in time when I played football in high school and long hair and a moustache were not allowed.  I decided to push the rules. The haircut and upper lip trim I received from a coach was less than desirable and it actually hurt.
 
I think we can all assess our lives and make the cuts that need to be made before God does it for us. Trees do not know any better and they need a vine dresser. But we have been given the Holy Spirit to teach us all things. We should be able to clean up the yard of our life and improve our spiritual status by asking instead of waiting. Then we must follow through.
 
Have a great weekend.
 
Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment