Saturday, March 11, 2017

Spring Ahead 3/11/2017

Good Morning,

Door County Cinnamon Sugar Biscotti Coffee is adorning my cup with aroma and flavor this fine frosty Wisconsin morning. March seems to be more like what February should have been.

Tonight we are to start the process of Daylight Savings Time. So before going to bed we will perform the chore of setting the clocks in our home, our cars and our watches ahead one hour. I am not a lazy person, but I really could care less about having an extra hour of Daylight for part of the year and then set back into darkness the other half of the year. Seems like we could just leave time alone. Setting the clocks ahead is a pain and a chore I dislike.

 


Last night we gathered as a family to celebrate my cousin's son's promotion within the local police department. We went to eat at a fine dining emporium and ate a "Wisconsin Friday Fish Fry". You have to be from the area to understand the Friday fish ritual. Our family is quite small now, and as a matter of fact this side of my family was never very big anyway. But it is much smaller now as time has claimed most of those who were ahead of me. As we were talking and celebrating my mind wandered for a moment and instead of setting time ahead inside this pea brain I allowed it to go back and picture the table with those who would have gathered for this occasion if I could have turned back time. Those who would have been there were the ones who built me. Not one of those who would have been there in my recollection of time did not have an impact on who I am today. My cousin taught me how to play football. Grandpa taught me how to fish. My uncle helped me survive Algebra. Grandma taught me to hate picking berries and enjoy pasta more. Dad taught me how to work and hunt. Mom taught me how to tie my shoes and much more. But as quick as that memory started, it had to end. I can not turn back time. So I concluded that Time is not a thief, it is part of God's design for this world and that I should enjoy the here and now. I should make a difference while I can. Grudges are only mistakes and should be forgotten. You can relive the past if you continue doing stupid things the same way. Learn from mistakes and do not relive any of the "uglies" in life. Love much, and love often. Share more. Be humble. Be kind. Love the Lord with all your heart and smile more. Don't miss family gatherings. They change too soon and without notice. Some day that table of family will change again and again. New folks will be there and some of us won't. So take time to remember, but also take time to make new memories. The memories you make might not be for you, but they will be for others to recall later when you are gone.

Don't place time in a bottle and try to keep it in one place. You can't reset it. But you can live it here and now.

Ecclesiastes 3:1-8New International Version (NIV)

A Time for Everything

There is a time for everything,
    and a season for every activity under the heavens:
    a time to be born and a time to die,
    a time to plant and a time to uproot,
    a time to kill and a time to heal,
    a time to tear down and a time to build,
    a time to weep and a time to laugh,
    a time to mourn and a time to dance,
    a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
    a time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing,
    a time to search and a time to give up,
    a time to keep and a time to throw away,
    a time to tear and a time to mend,
    a time to be silent and a time to speak,
    a time to love and a time to hate,
    a time for war and a time for peace.
 
Enjoy your day. Tomorrow it will be a memory. Make it a good one.
 
Marty

2 comments: