Wednesday, February 27, 2013

The Nature of Faith 2/27/2013

Good Morning,

My Coffee is Door County Cherry Creme today. My cup is full!!!

Jesus' friends once asked him to increase their faith. His reply was not what they were expecting.  If they had faith as tiny as a mustard seed, he said they could move mountains and displace trees.

Luke 17:5-6

New International Version (NIV)
5 The apostles said to the Lord, “Increase our faith!”
6 He replied, “If you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mulberry tree, ‘Be uprooted and planted in the sea,’ and it will obey you.

Matthew 17:20

New International Version (NIV)
20 He replied, “Because you have so little faith. Truly I tell you, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed,you can say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you.”

The apostles had actually asked the wrong question. Faith is not something that grows in quantity. It really is not something that we can possess more or less of; That would make faith dependent on us. This may be confusing some of you. Hang in there. It is actually our faith in what God can do. So what seems just a "little" faith can achieve much because it knows that nothing is too great for God.

Genesis 18:14

New International Version (NIV)
14 Is anything too hard for the Lord? I will return to you at the appointed time next year, and Sarah will have a son.”

The apostles should have rephrased their question to be "please improve our faith". We need to learn how to trust God in a simplistic way.

Matthew 8:5-13New International Version (NIV)

The Faith of the Centurion

5 When Jesus had entered Capernaum, a centurion came to him, asking for help. 6 “Lord,” he said, “my servant lies at home paralyzed, suffering terribly.”
7 Jesus said to him, “Shall I come and heal him?”
8 The centurion replied, “Lord, I do not deserve to have you come under my roof. But just say the word, and my servant will be healed. 9 For I myself am a man under authority, with soldiers under me. I tell this one, ‘Go,’ and he goes; and that one, ‘Come,’ and he comes. I say to my servant, ‘Do this,’ and he does it.”
10 When Jesus heard this, he was amazed and said to those following him, “Truly I tell you, I have not found anyone in Israel with such great faith. 11 I say to you that many will come from the east and the west,( and will take their places at the feast with Abraham, Isaac and Jacob in the kingdom of heaven. 12 But the subjects of the kingdom will be thrown outside, into the darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.”
13 Then Jesus said to the centurion, “Go! Let it be done just as you believed it would.” And his servant was healed at that moment.

In this passage a soldier recognized that our Lord only needed to say a word of authority and his request would be granted.

Are you asking for faith in yourself or in God?

God bless,
Marty




 

No comments:

Post a Comment