Thursday, February 14, 2013

Antique Desk 2/14/2013




Good Morning. It is Valentines Day today. So for my Coffee today I will have some Door County Cherry Creme.

When I write the postings for this blog I sit at my desk in our loft. I am surrounded by our books and a lot of taxidermied animals. All of the pictures and prints in the loft are outdoor scenes, hunting memories and mission trip photos.

The desk is an antique that my wife found a few years ago. It was found in a small shop in Northern Wisconsin. It dates pre-World War Two. Someone estimated that it was made during the depression of 1929. The day we were shopping and I saw her talking to the antique dealer, I knew soon that we would be the owner of something. I asked "what did you purchase"?  She replied, "that desk". My reply to that was. "What desk"? All I saw was an old table with a top that looked like a cabinet. My wife told me that it was perfect and with a little work it would look great. I did remind her that at our vehicle we were driving was a Ford Escape. I thought I could stop the sale by reminding her that the "so called desk" would not fit in the car. "No problem" she answered. "I told them you would be back next Saturday with a truck to pick it up!"

When we got outside I told her what a pile of junk that desk was and that it would take forever to get it to look half way decent. She reminded me of her confidence in my abilities and told me that there was more to the desk than just wood.

A week later I was home with the piece of junk. I did not have much to do for the rest of the weekend so I started in on the desk. About that time my wife came home from work and said "Stop'! She started looking through the drawers and then pulled one apart. You see, this desk was from an old post office and telegraph station. Stuck in the back of the desk was an old news paper article dated December 7th 1941 "Pearl Harbor Attacked". Also there was a an old telegraph statement. We believe it was from the person who worked the desk. It was dated December 18th 1941.  It read, Dear Mom, Pearl H. bombed. I am fine. I have left off the names to protect privacy.  I did end up working on the desk and a chair purchased two weeks later for two months. I must say it is really beautiful.
My wife reminds me that it wasn't the beauty of the desk but what was inside that was important to her.

I think we need to look at people that way. After all it is just how God want us to do it.

1 Samuel 16:7- God looks at your Heart
But the LORD said to Samuel, "Do not look at his appearance or at the height of his stature, because I have rejected him; for God sees not as man sees, for man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart."

God Bless,
Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment