Tuesday, October 1, 2024

Marriage Is Not A Tennis Match 10/1/2024

 Good Morning,

My pot of Door County Cherry Creme Coffee is finished brewing. I filled my cup and it is time to write. 

I Corinthians 13:4-7 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking. it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.  6. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7.It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. 



Back  up a few months ago a young man asked me if there were any lessons learned from our marriage of over 1000 years. I told him that I have been the recipient on many lessons learned in marriage. I asked him if either of them was competitive. He smiled and said that they were both competitive.

I then asked him if they played any board games and if they kept score to see who won. His reply was this. "The games are fun until we have to keep score. Once the game gets close to being over we tend to challenge each other more. The results have been nasty at times".

I gave him a little advice. "Never keep score in your marriage. Don't keep an account of wrongs or rights. Once the score keeping starts, the sacrificial love between the two is over, "It's your turn to watch the kids after you do the dishes." You spent how much money on a hat? Well I want new car seat covers.  It will cost less than your hat:" 

Keeping score will always remind you when you were on the short end of the marriage partnership. Keeping score brings back anger, hurt and bad memories. When you keep score in a marriage, someone always loses. 

Food for thought. 

Marty 

No comments:

Post a Comment