Tuesday, October 15, 2024

Using What You Have 10/15/2024

 Good Morning,

The old mug was filled with some very hot Door County Old Fashioned Coffee and it is doing a great job of warming me up. The coffee and a fresh crock pot of potato soup have this house smelling pretty nice. 



Genesis 1:11 And God said "Let the earth sprout vegetation, plants yielding seed, and fruit trees bearing fruit, which is their seed, each according to it's kind, on the earth." And it was so. 

Yesterday I was able to take some more of our apples and dry them, and I will use them when I hunt to munch on in the field or the boat. They are a nice way to eat healthier and they are easy to share with your hunting partner, including that faithful retriever. 

We were blessed this year with an abundance of apples and we are also a family that doesn't like for things to go to waste in this house. We have been able to give plenty of apples away and some of our friends have turned them into bakery. I foresee an apple pie being baked tomorrow in our own home. 

My point for the day is this. Use what you are blessed with. Take some and share it with friends, family or strangers. Use what you have been given to bless others. This abundance of apples also reminds me of of the years when the apples were scarce. There is a sad feeling when hail comes down so hard that the baby apples on the trees are knocked off the branches and in the fall you barely have enough apples for one pie. 

I also trim our trees and the apple wood is used to smoke meats throughout the year.  Once again the trees provide a sweet aroma while the smoker is hot. The aroma from drying apples, baking apples, or smoking meat some how reminds me of the blessing God has given us. One of my favorite times of the year is to wake up and see the trees fully blossomed out in the spring. I have been watching for that morning for over 30 years and it never ceases to amaze me. So as the trees get ready for a long winter's rest, I look forward, (God willing) to a cup of coffee and some pink blossoms again in the spring. 

God bless,

Marty


No comments:

Post a Comment