Monday, June 10, 2013

Proverbs 9 Lesson 6/10/13

Good morning,

I am starting my day with a hot cup of Door County White Christmas Coffee. That's two days in a row with the same flavor. I guess it is only June and I am in the Christmas mood.

Last week I discussed the reason for reading a chapter from the Book of Proverbs found within the Bible daily. So to give credence to that lesson I thought I would share once more how that works for me. Being June 9th I read chapter 9 of the Book of Proverbs. That keeps the calendar in line with where I read. Now we must all agree that God is God, and I am me, and you are you. We are all different but have the same heavenly Father. I will show you highlighted in red where I believe that god meant for me to hear from the portion of passage. Here is my formula for listening to God. Now this is just a portion of what I read daily. I spend time elsewhere reading and studying Scripture.

1. I pray before I read asking God to clear my head of "me and anything else battling inside my brain and heart that would take my attention off of His word.

2. I ask in that prayer for the Holy Spirit to instruct me for the day. Then I go ahead and pay attention and if something speaks to my heart I underline it and see how it applies for that moment, that day or my life in general. I expect God's word to instruct, guide and correct as it is promised.

2 Timothy 3:16

 (NKJV)16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness,

 

 

So now you have my formula. I hope you have been trying this for yourself. Below I did highlite where God spoke to me.  The Way of Wisdom Proverbs 9 NKJV

 1Wisdom has built her house,
She has hewn out her seven pillars;
2 She has slaughtered her meat,
She has mixed her wine,
She has also furnished her table.
3 She has sent out her maidens,
She cries out from the highest places of the city,
4 “Whoever is simple, let him turn in here!”
As for him who lacks understanding, she says to him,
5 “Come, eat of my bread
And drink of the wine I have mixed.
6 Forsake foolishness and live,
And go in the way of understanding.

7 “He who corrects a scoffer gets shame for himself,
And he who rebukes a wicked man only harms himself.
8 Do not correct a scoffer, lest he hate you;
Rebuke a wise man, and he will love you.

9 Give instruction to a wise man, and he will be still wiser;
Teach a just man, and he will increase in learning.
10 “The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom,
And the knowledge of the Holy One is understanding.

11 For by me your days will be multiplied,
And years of life will be added to you.
12 If you are wise, you are wise for yourself,
And if you scoff, you will bear it alone.”

The Way of Folly

13 A foolish woman is clamorous;
She is simple, and knows nothing.
14 For she sits at the door of her house,
On a seat by the highest places of the city,
15 To call to those who pass by,
Who go straight on their way:
16 “Whoever is simple, let him turn in here”;
And as for him who lacks understanding, she says to him,
17 “Stolen water is sweet,
And bread eaten in secret is pleasant.”
18 But he does not know that the dead are there,
That her guests are in the depths of hell.
 
So what did I learn? First came the reminder that the major step is attaining Godly wisdom is to fear the Lord. God does correct those He loves and we should not only obey out of love but yet fear His correction.
 
Secondly I was reminded that you can't always correct everyone and in some instances it is best to be quiet and take some abuse if someone is really on your case and it does not seem right.  I guess "silence" at times is best. Those who correct a wise person gain their love and friendship. Sometimes it is best to ask God when it is the right time to speak. And some people who are scoffing at you are not ready to correct or get into an argument with.
 
Now that is what I learned through God today. It is my job to apply it. It might be or probably will be totally different for you. Remember we are God's children and sometimes the instructions can be the same for many or He may single you out with something just for you. It's kind of like dinner. Not everything on the plate might be just what you like, but it is there and needs to be eaten to keep you healthy. So enjoy this way to study and live.
 
God bless,

No comments:

Post a Comment