Saturday, June 8, 2013

Jesus and Children 6/8/13

Good Morning!
I am starting my day with a hot cup of Door County Coconut Crush Coffee. I actually filled a thermos with some today. I am experimenting with not stopping during the day and purchasing coffee to see if I can save money. It will also give me a chance to use the five thermos bottles I have on a shelf.

On particular passage in Scripture that I have studied will often get me riled up. Let's start with the passage.

Matthew 19:13-15
13 Then were there brought unto him little children, that he should put his hands on them, and pray: and the disciples rebuked them.

14 But Jesus said, Suffer little children, and forbid them not, to come unto me: for of such is the kingdom of heaven.

15 And he laid his hands on them, and departed thence.


In older English, 'suffer' means 'allow.' In the quoted phrase, Jesus is saying that even children can come to Him directly; traditionally, only adults were supposed to directly approach other adults, while children were supposed to wait for permission or until approached by an adult. This is a metaphor for His calling that all persons interested in salvation should feel free to seek Him out instead of waiting for Him to come to them.

This is a passage that can get me fired up. All too often I see parents who rely way too much on church programs to raise their kids in God's way for them. The parents desire to be in a throng of worshippers looking for a weekly experience while they drop off the kids to what is usually an excellent program designed to bring kids into a relationship with Jesus. But when do the kids really get to see what worshipping parents are like? How or when do they see parents expressing their love for God and others corporately? I would hopefully assume it is being done at home. Some how I have my doubts. Kids will seek out Jesus on their own and should, but they need guidance in doing so. They need to be nurtured in many ways not just by volunteer workers and under paid youth pastors. Mom and Dad get on it! If you are not the main part in the equation you are hindering the steps a child may be taking toward Jesus. I believe churches should have great kids programs. But I believe the best program starts in the home. Lost in how to do it.? Email me. fritzschutte@aol.com Consult your pastor or youth pastor. Better yet, read your Bible and then teach it to your kids.

God loves you!
Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment