Thursday, September 3, 2026

Learning To Drive 9/3/2026

 Good Morning,

I am enjoying a hot cup of Door County Salted Caramel Whiskey Coffee and it is no time to write. 

Matthew 7:12 ESV"So whatever you wish others would do to you. Do also to them.  

I entered the work force when I was in the ninth grade. I was hired for work at  Texaco Gas Station as a "Gas Pump Jockey". Yes, back then we pumped the gas for the customer. We gave the car windows a good wash, checked the oil level if the customer requested us to do so and added air to the tires after we checked the pressure. 

Wyatt Kaenel's Post Photo Credit

The place where I worked also changed oil and performed repairs and preventative maintenance to the cars of what I would say were some pretty loyal customers. 

Now after about three days of just pumping gas I was told to start the 1947 Willys Jeep and learn how to drive a vehicle with a manual shift. I was given a quick lesson on how to shift after I figured out that the starter button was on the floor. This I found out was needed because my duties included snow removal on the property in the winter. My driving was restricted to the Texaco property and the drive approaches from the street. I also had to jockey vehicles in and out of the garage.

It took me a few hours to be able to move the Jeep without hopping all over the property and not stall out when I was taking off from a full stop. I pretty much did all my "learning"in first gear and reverse. "Stick Shift" was still popular beck then and was a cheaper option than an automatic transmission 

I worked for a very patient employer and so after mastering the stick shift I graduated to oil changes, tune ups, muffler work, tire changes and sales. The sales included loading the customers cars with 24 bottles in wood crates of Coca Cola products. This included removing the empty crates. We also sold cigarettes I cleaned the bathrooms once, and sometimes twice in a day. Yes I sold cigarettes and did all the money exchanges without a calculator. W carried the money needed to make change after selling the gas and other items. in my pocket.  You did the math in your head! 

Your hours were adjusted to accommodate attending school and allowed for time to play in sports and study. But once summer hit and school was out it was full time work. Weekends during the school year were spent at the Texaco station. 

The owner of the Texaco Station invested some time in me and it paid dividends for both of us. He took a chance on a goofy kid and the kid gave an hours work for an hour's pay. 

My point is this. You might be in a position to hire someone especially a young person. Don't let age stop you. Invest some time in a young kid if he has a good hand shake, looks you in the eye and shows up on time, every time. And lessons can be learned in the parking lot!

Food for thought!

Marty








No comments:

Post a Comment