Saturday, February 1, 2014

Lord Where Do You Want Me To Go? 2/1/14

Good Morning,

February 1st already, one month down into the year. Today in Wisconsin it is snowing and my coffee mug is filled with Door County Maple. I am just about out of my fall flavors and the holiday specialties. So today is going to finish with a coffee order being placed.

You all know that I am an avid outdoorsman. I love hunting and being out in nature. Most of the time my adventures start before dawn in the darkness of the early morning. There isn't an adventure that does not start with prayer. Whether I am traveling by boat or on foot in the dark I go slow, picking my way through carefully step by step through rivers, frozen marshes, across hills and the woods. Many times I am meeting someone at one of these spots. If we cannot travel together I ask for a small map or at least some verbal directions. Along with directions I always have a light. My boat is equipped with powerful flood lights. My hat always has a head lamp. Even when wading down an ice filled river I have a flood light in my floating  tote sled.

Having a direction and a light to guide me reduces the risk of a nasty accident or a wrong turn that could be costly in time or being lost. There are times when even with the best of directions and the best of lights that I can still get confused. It is in those times that I stop moving forward and get to a safe place and wait until the path is clearer, the directions make sense, a cell phone call is made to a partner ahead for better directions, or it is daylight. I have learned to listen in the dark for sounds that would lead me to a road which would provide safety. I search for a light in the distance which would be a friend ahead or a home with a peer to tie to until the fog clears.

Dear Friends. God desires for us to follow His directions for our lives. My examples above are all Biblical and can be applied in our lives for direction.

1. Start with prayer.

Philippians 4:6

New King James Version (NKJV)
Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God;
 
 
2. Be equipped with the Light.

Psalm 119:105

King James Version (KJV)
105 Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

 
3. Take directions.

Isaiah 30:21

New King James Version (NKJV)
21 Your ears shall hear a word behind you, saying,
“This is the way, walk in it,”
Whenever you turn to the right hand
Or whenever you turn to the left.
 
 
4. Wait on the Lord and seek refuge.

Isaiah 40:31

New King James Version (NKJV)
31 But those who wait on the Lord
Shall renew their strength;
They shall mount up with wings like eagles,
They shall run and not be weary,
They shall walk and not faint.
 
 
5. Trust His directions.

Proverbs 3:5-6

New King James Version (NKJV)
Trust in the Lord with all your heart,
And lean not on your own understanding;
In all your ways acknowledge Him,
And He shall direct[a] your paths.
 
 
I pray that this will provide a Biblical formula for us to follow as we seek directions for life's pathways. Each point takes us right to time spent in the Bible and with God.
 
Have a great day. Don't get lost.
 
Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment