Thursday, February 20, 2014

I'll Fly Away. 2/19/14

Good Morning,

My coffee this morning is Door County Jamaican Me Crazy. Yesterday I celebrated 57 years of life. I have had a full life and have been blessed in many ways. As I get older I see myself slowing down a little. Hunting lasts longer now. How is that? The aches and pains take longer to heal up. So I remember the hunt longer.

But from time to time I find myself yearning for heaven. I am quite happy and content but as I get older I think about heaven more. This week we are looking at Old Christian Hymns of Faith. Today we will look at the hymn "Ill Fly Away".

I'll Fly Away!

Alfred E. Brumley was picking cotton one hot Oklahoma day in the fields of the cotton farm (he was born in 1905) singing "IF I Had the Wings of an Angel", a popular song over the radio at the time.

Now if I had the wings of an angel
Over these prison walls I would fly,
I'd fly to the arms of my poor darling,
And there I'd be willing to die.

The thought of flying away from the cotton fields mixed with his faith combined together then and he began composing "I'll Fly Away" there on the spot. He then stashed the song away in one of his drawers or boxes along with the other gospel songs he had been composing.

Two years later, Albert married Goldie Schell, whom he met while teaching a singing school in Powell, Missouri. Her encouragement led Albert to mail "I'll Fly Away" to the Hartford Music Company. It was published in 1932. Shortly afterward, Hartford hired Albert for $12.50 a month. After 35 years of working for the Hatford and Stamps/Baxter companies, he formed the Albert E. Brumley & Sons Music Company.

Albert wrote over 800 songs and would become one of the most respected names in the development of twentieth-century southern gospel music.

I'll Fly Away
(Therefore you now have sorrow; but I will see you again and your heart will rejoice, and your joy no one will take from you. John 16:22)

Some glad morning when this life is o'er, I'll fly away;
To a home on God's celestial shore, I'll fly away.

Refrain:
I'll fly away, O glory, I'll fly away;
When I die, hallelujah, by and by, I'll fly away.

When the shadows of this life have gone, I'll fly away;
Like a bird from prison bars has flown, I'll fly away.

Refrain

Just a few more weary days and then, I'll fly away;
To a land where joys shall never end, I'll fly away.

Refrain
Repeat
When I die, hallelujah, by and by, I'll fly away.


Amen Dear Friends. I'll Fly Away
Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment