Thursday, February 6, 2014

How Do I Know Who to Marry? 2/6/14

Good Morning,

This day is starting with a look upward, a prayer for peace in my heart and a cup of Door County Heavenly Caramel Coffee. I am looking forward to Saturday. Our Men's Ministry Team at Faith Bible Church is sponsoring a family fun night. It is food, board games, and great people.

Yesterday we talked about making a choice to share your life in marriage. I promised to talk today about marrying someone who puts God first.

When Rene and I started dating my heart and mind  was just in awe of her. I really enjoyed being with her, but then came the test. We were to go for dinner and a movie on Saturday very early in our relationship. I was excited to go. But then I remembered that Saturday night was our prayer service at church and I was leading it. My friend Harlan offered to cover for me. What a dilemma! I was convicted by the Holy Spirit to not go on the date but to make sure I went to the prayer service. So I needed to explain to Rene my priorities.
I asked her if we could talk. I drove over to her house and here is what came out of my mouth.  Thinking on it now, I really could have done better to explain my point.

"Rene, you can never be number one in my life". That's when the tears started. I then said. "Let me explain. God needs to be number one at all times. If I put you before Him I have created an idol in you. If God is number one you will always be a secure and loved number two". Boy wasn't that romantic! I am surprised that I wasn't shown the door. Later on I was told that what Rene was looking for was a man who could lead a family. But she was hoping for a taller guy. Thus her pet nickname for me. SDP Short Dark and Portly! But right from the start she knew that I would be following God to lead and direct me and eventually us. As I have said before, we have been married for a thousand years. Her statement not mine, I love her more each day. We serve the Lord together, we learn together, we laugh, love and cry together. We are closer because of God. When one of us sheds a tear the other can taste the salt from across the room. Friends I am not bragging, it is a fact. A fact that is true because of God and only God. He loved us first.


1 John 4:19New King James Version (NKJV)

19 We love Him[a] because He first loved us.

Now as we are much older we see that it wasn't us who built the home. It wasn't us who sustained each other through the loss of parents, or the loss of jobs, cancer, or diabetes. It was God who came first.

Unless the Lord Builds the House

A Song of Ascents. Of Solomon.

127 Unless the Lord builds the house,
    those who build it labor in vain.
Unless the Lord watches over the city,
    the watchman stays awake in vain.
It is in vain that you rise up early
    and go late to rest,
eating the bread of anxious toil;
    for he gives to his beloved sleep.
Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord,
    the fruit of the womb a reward.
Like arrows in the hand of a warrior
    are the children[a] of one's youth.
Blessed is the man
    who fills his quiver with them!
He shall not be put to shame
    when he speaks with his enemies in the gate.[


If you think you are ready to marry. Ask your potential mate who is number one in their life. This is something you want to know.

God bless,
Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment