Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Advice for Those Getting Married 2/5/14

Good Morning,

I am enjoying some of my last Christmas flavors today. My coffee cup is filled with Door County White Christmas. It goes down as smooth as Bing Crosby singing his famous tune.

Even though Wisconsin is still filled with snow, the spring weddings are in full planning now. I noticed a wedding invitation for May arrived today in the mail. It made me think of our wedding a thousand years ago. I will share with you who don't already know a side of me that can be sensitive. In planning our wedding I wanted to basically say what I had to say to Rene in a song. So before she came down the aisle the minister stopped the wedding and I surprised her by singing to her from the altar of the church. I am not sure how many of my macho buddies released their lunch on to the floor when I sang. My voice probably killed a few passing robins in flight also. I chose a song "Welcome to My World" because it said what I meant. We still play the song or request it to be sung when ever we can.
 

Welcome to My World


 Welcome to my world
Won't you come on in
Miracles I guess
Still happen now and then
Step into my heart
Leave your cares behind
Welcome to my world
Built with you in mind
Knock and the door will open
Seek and you will find
Ask and you will be given
The key to this world of mine
I'll be waiting here
With my arms unfurled
Waiting just for you
Welcome to my world

I was pushing 30 years old when we were married. Both of us had good jobs and we lived on our own. We really did not need anything the other had. I listen to young love birds now state their love for each other in phrases like. "I couldn't live without you, he or she completes me, I need him or her so much". Here's the difference. We did not need each other. Our greatest possession was our individuality and our personal lives. We both realized that and decided that what we wanted and what we chose was to share our lives with each other until death would separate us. We chose to invite each other to become one and forge a new life together. That day we chose each other not out of need to be complete or for any other reason. Our life in Christ had already completed us. We chose to share in the good and the bad.  We chose to share our lives. Our Bible verse for that day was said to be an odd choice for a wedding. Odd to some, but not to us.
 
 

Ruth 1:16-17 (NKJV)

16 But Ruth said:
“Entreat me not to leave you,
Or to turn back from following after you;
For wherever you go, I will go;
And wherever you lodge, I will lodge;
Your people shall be my people,
And your God, my God.
17 Where you die, I will die,
And there will I be buried.
The Lord do so to me, and more also,
If anything but death parts you and me.”


 

Our verse showed a choice made by Ruth to stay with Naomi her mother in law. Don't marry out of need. Marry out of choice. Marry one who put's God first. We will talk about that tomorrow.
 
 
God bless,
 
Marty



No comments:

Post a Comment