Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Apple Sauce. What An Aroma! 9/3/2014 With a Recipe.

Good Morning.

I pray that all of you are well and spiritually at peace today. My cup runs over with Door County Peanut Butter Crunch Coffee. I am not defacing Psalm 23 with my remarks. I actually filled my cup too full and spilled a little on to my desk. I am a laundry problem.




Last night we picked up some of the apples that are falling to the ground from our trees. I know that tonight those apples will be turned into chunky style apple sauce. Once the spices are added and the apples begin to simmer, our home is filled with an aroma that lasts for days. No scented candles needed here! The smell of the apple sauce reminds me of many blessings. God gave us apple trees, the land for them to grow, sunshine, rain, friends to help with the harvest and all the spices needed for the simmering pot of blessings.

God is a sweet aroma to us in all that He does. There are some many beautiful aromas around the world. But I believe if God were to wear after shave one of the bottles on His dresser would be a bottle of "apple shave".

Psalm 103:1-2
 103 Bless the Lord, O my soul;
And all that is within me, bless His holy name!
Bless the Lord, O my soul,
And forget not all His benefits:


Take some time to count your blessings today. Share an apple with someone.

God bless,

Marty

Spiced Apple Sauce


 
Fast and easy homemade apple sauce, spiced with cardamom and ginger. Plus you can top it with nuts for a crunchy bite.
Author:
Recipe type: sauce, dessert, snack, fruit, vegan
Cuisine: American
Serves: 2-3
Ingredients
  • 4 Gala apples (620g or 1.36 lb weight it prior to peeling and coring) peeled, cored and evenly chopped
  • 1 whole cinnamon stick
  • 1/ 4 cup or 40 g brown sugar, more if desired*
  • small pinch of salt
  • ¼ tsp ground cardamom
  • small pinch ground ginger
  • ½ tsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
  • small piece of lemon peel
  • ¾ cup or 200 ml water
To serve, optional toppings
  • spiced pecans
  • dap of greek yogurt
  • raisins
Instructions
  1. Place the apple pieces and all remaining ingredients in a pot. Cover and allow to come to a boil over medium heat. Uncover to allow most of the liquid to evaporate and the apples to break down. After 10 minutes use a potato masher to further break down the apples to desired consistency. Continue to simmer until nearly all of the liquid has evaporated.
  2. Remove the cinnamon stick or leave if desired. Allow to cool before storing, or serving. Can also be enjoyed warm as a sweet autumn treat.
Notes
*Taste, or test, apples for sweetness and adjust to taste. Additionally the brown sugar may be replaced by sweetener of choice, such as honey or maple syrup.

No comments:

Post a Comment