Sunday, March 24, 2013

Pheasant Hunting 3/24/2013

Ahhhhh Saturday.

Sleeping late today? My Coffee is some Door County Cherry Creme today. God bless your weekend.

Nothing like spending some time with good buddies and a few dogs chasing pheasants. That is what I did yesterday.

 
 
Everyone needs some friends. I enjoy hanging with mine. I have some friends that I can count on, laugh with, and pray with. These guys bring out the best in me and each other. The Bible tells us what to look for in a friend.
 
The Lord Jesus Christ gave us the definition of a true friend: "Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends. You are my friends if you do what I command. I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master's business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you" (John 15:13-15). Jesus is the pure example of a true friend, for He laid down His life for His "friends." What is more, anyone may become His friend by trusting in Him as his personal savior, being born again and receiving new life in Him.

There is an example of true friendship between David and Saul's son Jonathan, who, in spite of his father Saul's pursuit of David and attempts to kill him, stood by his friend. You will find that story in 1 Samuel chapter 18 through chapter 20. Some pertinent passages are 1 Samuel 18:1-4; 19: 4-7; 20:11-17, 41-42.

Proverbs is another good source of wisdom regarding friends. "A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for adversity" (Proverbs 17:17). "A man of many companions may come to ruin, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother" (Proverbs 18:24). The issue here is that in order have a friend, one must be a friend. "Wounds from a friend can be trusted, but an enemy multiplies kisses" (Proverbs 27:6). "As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another" (Proverbs 27:17).
 
God bless,
Marty

 


No comments:

Post a Comment