Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Hurricane Sandy 10/30/2012

Good morning,
I find myself needing some "comfort coffee" today. My cup is filled with Door County Maple Coffee. I don"t know why but the comfort flavor for me has always been maple.

The East Coast of the United States is being pounded by Hurricane Sandy. Every news cast is full of destructive views with storm damage. Last week my town mourned another mass shooting. People ask me why these things happen. I answer from the heart. "I am not sure."

But I know this, believe this, eat and sleep this. God is on His throne, and despite what we see and hear He is sovereign. 

Gen. 1:1 In the beginning  God created the heavens and the earth.
Gen. 1:31 And God saw all that He had made, and behold, it was very good.

James 5:13-18
13 Is anyone among you suffering? Let him pray. Is anyone cheerful? Let him sing psalms. 14 Is anyone among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord. 15 And the prayer of faith will save the sick, and the Lord will raise him up. And if he has committed sins, he will be forgiven. 16 Confess your trespasses[e] to one another, and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much. 17 Elijah was a man with a nature like ours, and he prayed earnestly that it would not rain; and it did not rain on the land for three years and six months. 18 And he prayed again, and the heaven gave rain, and the earth produced its fruit.

 I also believe that at times like this the answer to the question is to pray for one another. I only know a few people on the East Coast, but I know I can pray for all of them and be heard by our God. I can pray for the single mom, her scared kids, the elderly, the gang banger, the officials, and the health workers. My prayers and yours can be said for all. I can pray for their safety, their provisions, their fear and hurts. I can pray for the comfort of those who lost dear ones in the shooting. All that being said, we can call out to God and then trust that He knows best.
Isaiah 55:8-9
“For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
    neither are your ways my ways

    declares the Lord.
“As the heavens are higher than the earth,

    so are my ways higher than your ways
    and my thoughts than your thoughts.


If God can create the world and all that is in it, and I believe He did. We need to trust Him now. Pray with me won't you?

God bless,
Marty





No comments:

Post a Comment