Sunday, November 26, 2023

There Is A Time To Share Traditions 11/26/2023

 Good Morning,

I am sitting at my desk drinking some Door County Chocolate Cherry Coffee and it is time to write. 

Yesterday our daughter called and was inquiring about making a big pot of chili. She had Googled a recipe and was well on her way to making it, when she had a few questions about onions and such. It then dawned on me that my own kid did not have my chili recipe. My recipe is a version of the one my grandmother made. Over the years I have changed a couple of things and my version has actually won a couple chili cookoffs. Now I have tasted the chili other folks make and some are really good. I have enjoyed and consumed many bowls of chili in this lifetime of mine. 

2 Thessalonians 2:14-15 To this he called you through our gospel, so that you may obtain the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ. 15. So then, brothers, stand firm and hold to the traditions, that you were taught by us, either by our spoken word or by our letter. 

Here is my point. Just like money and possessions can't be taken with you when you die neither can a recipe. It is a good idea to pass on to others the things you know and share the secret recipes before they wonder, "Now how did he or she make that". I wrote about this a few days ago also. 

I have a few guns and they are all labeled as to who gets them when I am no longer here. But each label has a story as to what I did with that particular gun or how I came to own it. Family history is a big part of things that need to be shared. 

The one most important thing I hope to pass on to those who I leave behind is this. My faith in God is number one and my love for Him. I want them to know of my belief in the power of prayer. My love for family comes second behind my love for God. That might hurt some feelings. But, my love for God has taught me how to love my family. God created the family and when we obey His commands and teachings on family we show our love and respect for God. In turn God shows us how to love others as He loves us. 

So, think it through. I don't make as much chili as I used to. It is time to pass on one of my kettles to our daughter. It was one that belonged to my great grandmother. I already sent the recipe. 

Love to all. 

Marty 

No comments:

Post a Comment