Friday, November 30, 2018

Enjoying The Harvest With A Recipe 11/30/2018

Good Morning,

I can smell the Door County Autumn Spice Coffee brewing downstairs in the kitchen. It's these quiet times of the morning that just seem to brighten my outlook on life. Prayer just seems to sweeten the coffee somehow.



We still have apples in the cooler and I plan on using some of them for dinner tonight. I often write about our apple trees which just a few weeks ago lost the last of their leaves until next year. They are dormant now and to me it seems like they are resting. They worked hard under God's direction and yielded a harvest like we have never seen before. I look forward to the apple blossoms showing up again next spring.

When I look at the cycle of an apple tree and I see the soil it is planted in, then the sun and water that goes into nurturing it I cannot help to see God at work. Without Him directing the apple symphony of our yard we would have nothing to show. God knows how many apples will be picked next year. When I look at those dormant trees I see an example of just how great God is. He awakens the trees with sunshine and warmth. He waters the trees with rain. He has provided apples for many people from those trees. I remember planting each tree. I prayed for God's will to be done with the trees and they are still here, producing sweet fruit.

Tonight I will enjoy some apple pancakes with Rene. We will smile at each other and then thank God for the bounty. We will actually talk about the trees and the potential crops of next year. God will be the focus of our banter.

I will then go to bed with a full stomach fed by the hand of God and the trees He has blessed us with.

What are you thankful for today?

Marty

Apple Salsa

2 medium tart apples, chopped
1 cup chopped strawberries.
2 medium kiwi fruit, peeled and chopped
1 small orange
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons apple jelly,melted.

In a bowl, combine apples ,strawberries, and kiwi.
Grate orange peel to measure 1-1/2 teaspoons: squeeze juice from orange.
Add peel and juice to apple mixture.Stir in brown sugar and jelly.

For chips, brush two flour tortillas lightly with water. Combine 1/4 cup sugar and two teaspoons of ground cinnamon, sprinkle over tortillas. Cut each tortilla into 8 wedges. Place in a single layer on an un-greased baking sheet. Bake at 400 degrees F  for 6-8 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool and serve with salsa. Yields 4 cups.


No comments:

Post a Comment