Saturday, February 27, 2021

A Tussle Over Popcorn 2/27/2021

 Good Morning,

I have been watching the darkness of night being overtaken by daylight for a some time this morning. I enjoy the miracle of a new day with awe. I just poured myself a mug of Door County Pumpkin Spice Coffee.


While driving in my car I often listen to a radio station that presents the news and leads discussions on what they presented as a topic of news. Yes folks I listen to "Talk Radio". Just for the record I also listen to Gospel stations that broadcast preachers present and others who have passed on to heaven. Mix in some oldies but goodies Doowop with a dose of Country Western music and there you have it, my radio agenda.

This last week the topic of a fight that broke out at one of the local shopping malls was a hot source of interaction on the radio program. I believe that not enough information was shared about the incident. They presented the main point but all that did was make you wonder about some of the facts. 

It seems that in the food court of the mall a popcorn stand resides there. I for one like a bag or box of popcorn and I like it best if I don't have to make it. The story goes like this. A female patron purchased some popcorn. Once she tasted it she found that it wasn't to her liking (too salty) so she complained to the attendant working at the stand. It is very simple but this is what the news left out. 

If what I sold was bad, you could offer to refund the money, or give the person complaining a new bag of popcorn. The person complaining would surrender the "bad bag" so the attendant could justify what happened to her manager. Sure seems simple to me. But somehow things escalated and the customer became infuriated and started roughing up the attendant. Now we have a fight over popcorn in a mall. The news broadcast let us know that the attendant was also pregnant. Apparently the police and mall security were notified but after the pummeling took place the aggravated customer left and still hasn't been apprehended. The attendant was bruised up but survived and it was mentioned that her baby was fine. 

Here is my point. Nowhere and this is unknown was it said that the attendant didn't provoke the customer with anything she said. ( It still doesn't justify a butt kicking). The news statement never said if anyone tried to intervene and stop the beat down or take on the brawler on behalf of the pregnant lady. I am sure cell phone were out and recording the incident. But no one intervened that I heard. 

You can see where I am going here. Supposedly no one helped. Someone became enraged at poor quality and maybe poor service. Who hasn't received a smushed burger and the wrong one at that from a fast food drive through? I know I have, and I didn't drive back and pull the window attendant through the window and start fighting. I have gone back and asked them to make the order correct and 99% of the time they apologized and corrected the mistake. 

There could have been some extenuating circumstances of life that caused the customer to be extra crabby. Not sure on that either. It still doesn't justify the actions.

So here it is. Mistakes happen!. But as grace is given to us by God daily for our sins shouldn't we show mercy to those who have wronged us or made our popcorn too salty. A fight over popcorn is just as wrong as it sounds.  Blessed are the peacemakers. But just as important is this Beatitude.

Matthew 5:7 Blessed are the merciful, for they shall be shown mercy.

Be a mercy shower today and see if the world isn't a better place because of it.

Have a great day.

Marty




No comments:

Post a Comment