Saturday, March 18, 2023

The Symphony Of Silence 3/18/2023

 Good Morning,

The day is beginning slowly and I just filled my cup with a very hot cup of Door County Pecan Cinnamon Ice Cream Coffee. It is time to write. 

James 1:19 Know this my beloved brothers, let every person be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger. 


The only sound within the house right now is the fire in the hearth of the fireplace as it crackles now and then. A little noise comes from the flames as they extend out from the oak logs. I swear it is so quiet this morning that I can hear my heartbeat. It is amazing that when the hustle and bustle of the home goes silent as to how much more you can actually hear. I truly enjoy this time of quiet and tranquility. It seems that my mind is much more clearer and I can think better when it is quiet. 

The silence as I whisper my prayers seems to be more special to me than when I am in a crowded or noisy atmosphere. Each little sound that comes through and breaks the silence seems clearer and when all these little sounds wake up later and combine to greet the day, very often they are no longer little sounds, but just a bag of noise. Right now I can pick out the individual sounds and if I desire I can concentrate on them and give them some attention. 

My point for today is this one. In the race we call life it is easy to not hear some of the sounds that are important and should get our attention. These are the sounds of the family we are given. Especially those we can still call "little ones". Even toddlers and those just learning their first words want to have a conversation and desire to talk with us. We have to break away from the noisy world and devote time to truly listen to them and let them be heard and we need to respond. This applies to the elderly as well. Sooner than you think, the sound of the toddler grows up and moves away. The silver haired mother grows more silent and then life takes them away and you can't hear them anymore. 

I used to make the trek to visit my parents in Upper Michigan. The trip could be 5-6 hours depending on traffic and weather. Very often my little daughter would be riding with me or one of my nephews, if not both of my brother's boys. The trip would start out with them talking my ear off about everything under the sun. But soon there after they would have had their fill of gummy bears and Mountain Dew and they would be sound asleep in the truck. I listened intently to them and they knew that they had been heard. The next sound was a quiet snore from them as they were content and happy. 

When our voyage concluded and we pulled into that Michigan driveway, the coffee was poured and no matter what time it was a good half of an hour in just plain old conversation was had with my parents. I was told about all those who passed away that month, and dr. appointments. The kids were already in bed or running down by the lake so it was quiet conversation with my parents. Those little ones and the older ones needed to be heard and talked to. Once the hustle and bustle of a fun weekend really started it was hard to find that quiet time to find out what was on their minds or heart. 

As I sit here in the silence I can still recall some of those conversations and it  stirs my heart in a good way. So take time to truly converse one on one with the little ones and the older ones. It is easier to know their hearts when you pick them out of the noise and give them that 30 minutes or more of the symphony of silence. Just talking to them and listening without the calamity of the world interrupting the concert of the heart is so very important. 

God bless,

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment