Monday, March 20, 2023

Going Through The Stuff 3/20/2023

 Good Morning,

Monday arrived on time and I am going after it like a hungry man on a bologna sandwich. I just poured a hot mug of Door County Inn Keepers Blend Coffee and it is time to write. 

Exodus 20:12. Honor your mother and your father and it will be well with you.


I have been watching my wife as she brings things home from her mother's house. Mom has moved to assisted living now and the sale of the house is inevitable. The house was built by my in-laws with the help of a cousin or two back in 1949. It has been the family home since then. A lot of stuff has accumulated there throughout the years. Rene and her sister have been going through cupboards, closets, a garage and many boxes of stuff. They have been very good about getting items to family members who can use the different things or just desire them as mementoes. If the family doesn't speak up,the items have been going to second hand stores for those who can't afford to purchase new items. Some items have been distributed to charity such as hospitals and churches. I have to commend their patience and dedication to not waste anything. 

Like I said I have been watching her do this and I help if needed. But as she opens a box there is always a sigh. I believe this is just due to this not being a desirable chore. Mortality is hard to accept. Then there is either a chuckle or silence. The chuckle is often accompanied with a invitation for me to see what is a fond memory, like a photo of my wife and her siblings all dressed up for Easter in attire from the 50's and 60's.  Then there is the silence that is there when a memory like a photo of her grandma is found and the silence is caused by sadness. This too has been shared with me and I enjoy hearing her thoughts on each and every item. 

During this time I recalled going through my parents stuff when they both passed away and we sold the house. It was a time of smiles and of tears. 

My thought for the day is this. Organize your stuff. Leave notes on the back of items especially photos. Someone will have a question regarding an item you left behind and you won't be there to provide an answer. Your stuff is your story and your story bears being told. Fortunately my mother in law is still with us and questions can still be answered. I have asked a couple questions myself. I learned that I married the "Stubborn One". These old boxes have been a chore and a lot of fun as well. 

Just remember. You are important and don't leave your story untold. Ask when needed, so you know your ancestors story too

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment