Tuesday, March 14, 2023

Cleaning Up A Mess Together. 3/14/2023

 Good Morning,

This old guy just poured a hot mug of Door County Toffee Pretzel Coffee and finished my prayer time. It is time to write. 

Yesterday morning had me being greeted with a surprise. The surprise was not exactly a pleasant one. Over the last few days we have endured some major snow storms as well as ice storms. When I looked outside from the porch yesterday morning I saw that one of our flowering trees had succumbed to the weather and a large branch was hanging and resting on the house. This tree was originally planted in 1994 and has always been a pleasure to see it blossom with crimson red flowers. I do believe the tree will blossom one last time this year before I cut it down. 

Colossians 3:15 Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body, you were called to peace. And be thankful. 

I made plans that after work I would play lumber jack and cut the branch loose so that we did not sustain any building damage. So with my chain saw in hand and a ladder I started the process. I knew for sure that our two dogs would be outside watching me, to make sure I was doing it correctly! I turned around to make sure they were out of the way and I bumped into Rene my wife. I asked her what she was doing and her reply was "I just came out to help. These broken twigs are a mess to clean up. I remember planting that tree with you and I will help clean this mess up. I will be helping you when you take the rest of the tree down this summer. I am hoping to plant a new one." She said all of that with an assertive tone. 

That being said she jumped right in and we were finished in an hour. We came inside from the cold and we treated ourselves to some hot chocolate. We both looked at each other with our cold red cheeks and I said, "It could have been worse". We both agreed that all we lost was a tree and that it could have caused house damage. Better to discover that the rest of the tree needs to come down before a storm takes it down. 

My point for the day is this. My macho almost kicked in and chased her inside. I did not really need any help, but for some reason Rene just wanted to help. I just decided to not question her reasons for being out in the cold. I just appreciated the help and let it go. To the point. Don't overthink things. Take a blessing when it comes and just say thank you. Some things need no explanation and should just be left alone. And guys!!!! Don't let that macho get in the way of letting your wife spend time with you. It makes the hot chocolate taste better. 

God bless,

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment