Friday, March 3, 2023

It's Only Make Believe 3/3/2023

 Good Morning,

Friday is here and the sky is cloudy and we really aren't sure what the weather will bring today. But with a hot mug of Door County German Chocolate Cake Coffee at my side and sitting at my desk, it is time to write. 

2 Corinthians 5:7-8 For we walk by faith, not by sight. 8. Yes we are of good courage, and we would rather be away from the body and at home with the Lord.


When I started up my lap top this morning, I had the date staring me in the face and I had to deal with it. March 3rd is my sister Laurie's birthday. She would have been celebrating her 63rd birthday today. Cancer riddled her body and after a good fight she was taken to heaven. I can't help but recall some of her life today and of course I am a little sad. Prior to my brother being born it was just Laurie and me in the brood. For a few years our family hit some hard times with our mother's health. We always had food and shelter but our mother was unable to provide consistent care for us and we relied on relatives a lot. I am grateful for each one that helped us out and loved on us. 

I am the oldest of us kids and was supposed to mirror my dad and at times I just could not be a manly seven year old. The shoes were hard to fill. My sister would often try to encourage us both with her imaginary tea parties and luncheons. One day in particular after a rough couple of days and mom being hospitalized for what we knew would be a long time, I was sitting outside on the house steps. Laurie came outside by me and asked me to come to her tea luncheon. She would set a small table with her play dishes and we would drink water from the cups and pretend we were eating cake. I went along with her charade thinking she too felt lousy and afraid. I asked her why she had set three plates and the four year old replied. One is for Mom. Let's make believe she is here and this goes away fast. We rarely ever discussed those days in the future. We just chose to enjoy the better days that came along and it was like they did not happen. 

Here is my thought for today. Life delivers some harsh blows now and then and we really can't make believe they aren't here. But as I am a little melancholy today and missing that sister of mine,  I know her faith and where she resides now is in heaven. I know she was ushered in by Jesus with her last breath on Earth. So being realistic I know she lives on and some day I will see her again. I will raise a toy cup to salute her birthday in heaven. And the tears I have running down my face are only make believe. So my friends, cling to the good memories and they work to erase the bad memories and sometimes it's like the bad things were only make believe.

Marty


2 comments: