Friday, March 24, 2023

It Wasn't Easy 3/24/2023

 Good Morning,

The day is beginning with a hot mug of Door County Cinnamon Pecan Ice Cream Coffee and a fresh biscuit laden with honey. This has the makings of a great day. 

Matthew 6:6 But you, when you pray, go into your room and when you have shut your door, pray to your Father who is in the secret place; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly. 

Yesterday I wanted to try and interject silent prayer while going about my day. At first it was easy. I woke up and went right to prayer and even managed to listen to some Country Gospel Music while I prayed in my truck. Traveling and praying was easy to do. Once I arrived to my work site it was a little harder to do. I typically work alone and on this particular day my duties had me walking all over a large medical center. I would be walking and praying while I traveled. Most all of the folks I passed while walking wanted to exchange pleasantries while passing in the corridor. That would break my thought cycle and next thing I knew I forgot what or who I was praying for. Or while waiting for an elevator or 40, the people gathered in the lobby, wanted to chat about the weather or the local basketball teams. Now I wasn't raised to be rude so I responded nicely to all of the small conversations that seemed to have tripled in numbers from the usual amount. 

Before going home I tuned in a gospel music station for some background noise and I started once again to pray while driving home. My conclusion is this. At all times be ready to pray and be a soul that goes to God for yourself and others. Set aside a specific time just to pray. I would have accomplished more if I had just sat down in a quiet room and prayed for an hour. I guess I just can't walk, chew gum and pray at the same time. It might work for some but all the old devil had to do was interrupt my prayer time with the business of the day. It was a good effort but I have to say I gave it a failing grade. 

Last night I took an hour in my den and prayed, read my Bible and before I knew it I had spent an extra half an hour with God and gave that an A+ grade. 

Jesus gave us a blueprint for prayer. And it all starts with a time and a place. I do believe in praying in the moment and I will always pray anytime I am called to do so. But I for one will schedule time away from the busyness of the day and pray in earnest. 

Have a great day!!!

Marty

3 comments:

  1. I have been told that men in general are not multitask capable, l find myself prayer needs my undivided attention. I have to get alone with God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find that if I want to pray throughout the day (as Paul says, without ceasing) the only way is to pray in the moment, for the moment. As people exchange pleasantries in the corridor, pray for them. As people distract you with the weather, thank God for the beautiful day, and pray for them. The weather's not good?
    Pray for safety for your friends/family/whoever has to be out in the weather. Dedicated prayer time is important for that quiet time with God. But praying without ceasing, at least for me, is about making God an active part of what is happening in your day, in the moment.

    ReplyDelete