Tuesday, October 8, 2019

Clobbered From Above 10/8/2019

Good Morning,

My day began with watching the sunshine peer onto our  property  awhile ago. A great cup of Door County Cherry Creme Coffee awaits me after I finish writing. I would like to share a humorous adventure with all of you and then make a short point before closing today.

1 Thessalonians 5:16-17 Rejoice always, pray without ceasing. Give thanks in all circumstances. For this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. 

Last  Sunday afternoon my wife Rene let me know that somehow she had plugged the laundry chute while dropping bed sheets and towels through it to the basement. Her chores were on the second floor and when you include the basement it is a three story linen subway to the washer and dryer.


She explained that she had tried everything she could to retrieve the dirty sheets and towels. " I guess I should not have sent them down bundled together" was her statement of the day. So I assessed the situation and devised a plan that would make any man proud. The way the chute is constructed, the only way to do this if the objects are not within arms reach is to push them back up from the bottom. We have lived here since 1994 and this has only occurred  one other time. It happened right after we moved in and it was a construction miscue where the carpenter accidentally installed a screw into the metal of the chute. Clothing was snagged on the screw and it held up the laundry from making it to the basement. It caused quite a ruckus last time and had three of us trying to figure out where the cheerleader uniform could be hiding.  That problem was corrected by the contractor under the new home warranty and it has been fine ever since.

So from what Rene told me I figured out that the the laundry plug was between the 1st and second floor out of arms reach from the chute door on the first floor. So I went to the basement armed with PVC pipe that I had in the garage for another project. Working from the basement allowed me to shove ten feet at a time into the plugged artery of soiled linen. I had just added a another length of pipe to my laundry ram rod when I heard Rene exclaim that she could see the linen.

Then it happened. While I began to remove the pipe the stoppage started to drop to the basement like a cannon ball. Expecting to only get bombed with sheets and towels I looked up to quickly grab things. But nope!!! I was hit with something hard and heavy, right square on the head. It was a good pop on the old bean.  Rene forgot to tell me that her last attempt at fixing the situation was to throw a super heavy, very large book at the stoppage form three stories away from me. The book hit me like a wrecking ball.

The point I am making is this. In my long ramble did you hear or read that I said I prayed before tackling this mess? No you didn't, and I sit here ashamed to even be writing about this. I should have prayed before I started and asked for wisdom and safety. Rene should have joined me in prayer. This could have been worse if that book bomb had it me in the eye. I wasn't expecting it and I sure was not covered by prayer and wisdom. Safety should always be prayed for. Prayer is the first step in safety.

So friends, we are to be praying people. Learn from my mistakes. It is a lot safer for you!

Marty


2 comments:

  1. Marty, When I am working on a project, my dear wife will ask, " have you prayed about it"? Usually by this time l am frustrated and did not want to hear that. I am in a hurry and didn't take the time to pray. I know that she is right about praying, and will ask her why she is always right.

    ReplyDelete