Thursday, October 10, 2019

Bracing For The Cold Weather Decisions. Decisions. 10/10/2019

Good Morning,

A cup of Door County Cherry Creme Coffee had my attention for a little while this morning. In a little bit I will be making my wife and I some breakfast. But for now it is time to write.

James 1:5 If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him.



I  watched the sun come up this morning and by all indications it will be a nice fall day for us to enjoy in our part of the world. But from what has been predicted for the weather in the next couple of days my attire and habits will have to change quickly. Snow brushes will be placed in the car and truck and warmer clothes will be a must. We play a little game each year to see how long we go before firing up the furnace in the cold weather. I think we will try it for another day or so, but I believe we will cheat a little and light up the fireplace. The firewood I worked on so diligently all spring will come in handy over the next few days. Our menu will start to include more soups and stews as they seem to provide comfort and warmth once the weather brings a chill to us.

My point is this. I can't stop the weather from changing and for me I wouldn't want to anyway. I enjoy the cold and and at times frigid weather. Contentment is key to be less of a "complainer." When we fail to even try being content we open ourselves up for trouble. For instance, you might want a new vehicle because the new model came out and you think you would look pretty good behind the wheel of that flashy new sedan. But then you live where we do and snow is not an option. It is a reality. You might not be able to afford two vehicles and the sports car you purchased goes really fast on dry pavement but doesn't travel too well in snow. The flashy sedan doesn't make much sense when you have to get to work in a snow storm and it introduces you to the ditch along the highway. Contentment and common sense run hand in hand. A flashy four wheel drive SUV would have been a better choice. Or if the flashiness causes you to have to eat stew without meat or vegetables because of the cost, well, a stripped down version would be best.

Lack of contentment has broken up many a family just by wanting someone else to be with. The grass always looks greener on the other side of the fence. But the grass needs to be mowed and tended to just like any other lawn. And what looks like green grass from a distance might have weeds that choke the life from the lawn.

I can give examples of the cause and effects of lack of contentment all day long. I believe you all get the picture. We need to examine our needs against our wants and ask ourselves "is this best for us?" But there is one more step I want to recommend.

Before you leap into decisions that can impact you for a long time, ask God to show you the best choice. He hands out free advice, no appointment necessary, and it is always in your best interest. He will show you desires verses needs and give you peace of mind which seems to be lacking for many people.

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment