Wednesday, October 30, 2019

Afraid Of The Shadows 10/30/2019

Good Morning,

It is still dark outside as I write. I am accompanied this morning by our two dogs Gibbs and Leo. It seems as if the puppy has now figured out the morning ritual of sleeping by my feet while I write. One dog is on each of my feet like a furry slipper. My mug was just filled with Door County Autumn Spice Coffee and it is time to put a pen to my thoughts.


Last night before I went to bed I thought I had a pretty good idea of what I would write this morning. But that all changed about 45 minutes ago. As usual I bundled up with a warm coat and hat to go outside to let our two dogs run and do their morning dog business. Our property is not completely fenced in and we do have problems with coyotes from time to time. So I stand watch over our two canine sidekicks.

We have some powerful spotlights that when turned on, illuminate the back yard very well. I had them turned on for our morning venture to the cold, dark, back yard. I had noticed this before, but did not really make much of it. When our dogs approach the fence to our South the bright lights cast the dogs shadow on to the white fence. Our new puppy Leo noticed his shadow on the fence and was quite mesmerized by this dark figure that was following him. This was too funny. Our older dog Gibbs was not to far away and was watching the shadow puppet display on the fence also. I decided to get into the fun. I stood in a way that the flood lights caught my shadow and projected the display onto the new found "fence theater". I loomed pretty large next to Leo's shadow.  This perplexed the little fellow and he proceeded to growl. I then started to move toward the fence and the shadow moved with me. I then raised my arms like Frankenstein and started waving them. Leo started to bark and Gibbs chimed in also. Not wanting to wake up the neighborhood I gently called the boys over and stooped down minimizing the shadow. I called them to me and they came running to me. After petting them and reassuring them that I was there and they weren't battling the monsters  hidden deep within our yard, they were just fine. These two fine specimens of hunting dogs showed the fear of encountering something without the Master. I chuckled and stood up. The shadow reappeared they noticed it, but I just continued to speak to them and we then finished our morning play time. The shadow never left the yard as long as the light was shining. But they never noticed it again nor did it seem to bother them at all. They knew my voice and they know I have their backs covered against harm. They just needed reassurance that all is OK from the master .

Psalm 23:4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For You are with me. Your rod and your staff they comfort me.

Friends we all walk in the dark shadows of life and the unknown can be scary and intimidating. But we have a God who is with us and walks us through each step of the way. Today if the shadows in your life have you cowering in fear call out to the Faithful One and let Him walk you through it. If He brought you to it, He will lead you through it. No need to fear the Master is with you.

Marty


No comments:

Post a Comment