Wednesday, August 25, 2021

You Don't Know What You Don't Know 8/25/21

 Good Morning,

I am sitting, totally rested and relaxed on this fine morning. I thank God for the rest and I thank my wife for making sure I do. I just poured a hot cup of Door County Turtles In A Cup Coffee and it is time to write. 

Proverbs 19:20 Listen to advice and accept instruction, that you may gain wisdom for the future. 


I think there are a few of us who have said "if I knew then what I know now" I would have done some things differently." Or the other question, "wouldn't you like to be twenty one years old again? My reply to that, is "it might be nice if I could go back with the the knowledge  I have now".

We live in an age of compulsiveness and we often learn from our mistakes. Some mistakes have some consequences that hurt. Usually the mistakes we make when being young and uninformed hit us in the purse or wallet. We want something now, and we seek ways to justify spending too much. I do believe the twenty something age group, should all be lawyers. They have an answer for everything and can twist anything to sound good, convincing the jury of elders that this is a good deal. It doesn't work on me.

In this sketchy economy, going into debt for something that loses value the minute you drive it, shoot it, or sleep in it, is not good business sense at all. Back in the beginning days of the American Colonies, I learned that jail time was incurred when one was in debt and couldn't pay up. There wasn't a bankruptcy clause for getting out of jail. What if we reinstated that idea? 

My advice to young and old is this. Buy what you need, not what you want. Keep the lid, on debt, especially with consumables that in one second can be a twisted heap of metal, age one whole year the minute you drive them off of the lot, and never last long enough to make it an investment and not an anchor of debt. See what you can afford and then ratchet it down a step or two anyway. Pay off what you owe before going in debt further. Some day when you are older you might be able to afford luxury, (God Willing) and it will be easier to accept the cost. 

I recall the 70's when gasoline became scarce and prices skyrocketed. My paycheck didn't keep up with inflation. I had to make the decision to step back, sell the hot rod and purchase a non gas guzzler. It was a good decision. Because shortly after that my rent increased. Hamburger Helper was often made without the hamburger, because renting a place with a workout room and swimming pool was way out of my financial realm of reality, but I did it and lived to regret it.  I lived in Wisconsin and that outdoor pool was good for about three months. I was working so many hours that the workout room and it's equipment were not something I wanted to do. I had a lease I could not get out of ,and had to pass on a very nice upper apartment in a good neighborhood that would have saved me $250 a month. 

I just didn't know what I didn't know!

Spend wisely and save at least 20% of every paycheck. And mind your elders and learn.

God bless,

Marty


No comments:

Post a Comment