Sunday, August 1, 2021

Always A Good Team 8/1/2021

 Good Morning,

May this day find you at peace with those around you and at peace with yourself. I pray that you find time to spend with God and communicate with Him. It's time to write after just one more sip of my cup of Door County Bourbon Pecan Pie Coffee. 

Hebrews 10:24-25 And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, 25. not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another- and all the more as you see the Day approaching. 

Last night we attended our Saturday Evening service and then a few of us stayed later for a time of prayer. It was a sweet walk in God's garden. 

After locking up and shooting the breeze with friends in the parking lot, I started my Jeep and headed for home. I take the same route home 99% of the time and last night was not an exception. About a block away from church after stopping at the stop sign I turned left. This little area is known to have a lot of wildlife cross the road now and then. I am always on the lookout for deer or turkeys crossing the road near this intersection. I was not disappointed as I turned left and started toward a hill that would eventually head downward. Three deer were standing in the road and their color still has a little majestic red to it. It was an awesome site to see. As I started to direct my Jeep down the hill I saw a man in a wheel chair trying to go up the incline, using his arms and feet to move along. He wasn't traveling very straight or making a lot of headway. He really was more of a hazard on the road and I just couldn't see him struggle like this. I made a u turn and pulled up on the road shoulder and got out of my vehicle. 

In the mean time my buddy of the thick and thin club pulled up also. He has the 99% habit of travel as I do and was going home from church also. He saw what was going on and no way was he going to drive by without helping. I spoke with our new friend in the wheel chair and asked if I could push him and his chair to where he was trying to go. He was very hard to understand due to some type of disability, but he pointed West and West we went. My friend made a u turn and pulled up behind us to make sure he ran interference for us with any approaching vehicles. 

Through this I discovered that where my new rolling buddy lived was in an assisted living residence and was just a block away and somehow he had gone for a ride in his wheel chair. We strolled to the home, with my friend and his wife covering our back as we rolled. I have no idea how this gentleman got out and about and I will dig into that a little more this week. Once there, I discovered a long driveway to the building that was steep to say the least. It was at this time that our rolling friend insisted on finishing the last 50 yards on his own. It was decided that we would allow him to do that, restoring some of his lost dignity for traveling beyond his limits. Every man should be allowed to have dignity restored when needed. We watched him navigate the hill and he was going to be safe and sound.  We left content with his well being. 

My point for the day is this. My good dear friends were not going to slow down and ask if I needed help and then hear me say "not really". They went into immediate action and assisted. It was so nice to know that they had my back and I did not have to worry about approaching vehicles from behind me. 

As always with these two, it was a team event. We with my wife Rene included we always are a team, a team that is there through thick and thin, good or bad, beautiful and ugly. Teams and friendships like this are to be valued. If they only knew right now what I am thinking about possible ways to minister to this home, basically right in the back yard of our church. I have been part of our church since 1994 and did not even know this home existed. Recall, I only go home in the same direction 99% of the time and the other 1% would not take me near the assisted living dwelling either. My friend filled me in on what he knew about that site, but God sent a cripple to show me the way. 

Be part of a team, that you know was sanctioned to exist by God. You will never be bored or lonely. I value these two with a place in my heart. I knew for sure that when they saw me pulling over I had my wing man and his wife right there. To think about it, I believe God sent some wing men also. I just couldn't see them, but they were there. I will be using this Scripture passage again tomorrow as there is one more message found within. 

Have a great day.

Marty


No comments:

Post a Comment