Monday, January 25, 2021

Time For Soup For The Soul 1/25/2021

 Good Morning,

The day is going to be the start of a busy week. Snow is in the forecast this week and that always makes life interesting. I am looking forward to the challenge. Game on! I will be filling a traveling cup with very hot Door County Autumn Spice Coffee to keep me company while I am on the road.

There have been books out on the shelves for sometime called "Chicken Soup For The Soul". I found them to be a good read and inspiring. Many of the stories inside are ones that touch the heart and generate a smile on the reader. We own a couple and from time to time I look them up.

I am also a fan of chicken soup. I like the way it hits the spot on a cold day or seems to make me feel better when a virus or cold attacks me. To tell you the truth I am a loyal fan to most soups. Tonight we will be dining on some soup I made the other day and saved for tonight. The soup I chose to make was split pea with bacon. Pea soup would be my wife's choice of a comfort soup. I do most of the cooking and can read my wife pretty well also. This covid thing has her blue and stressed out. The vaccination roll out which is best called a circus is also adding to her down turn in emotions. I tried some flowers and that really didn't help. I know the pea soup will be only a few moments of comfort and peace. 

I decided that what was needed was something that would last and could not be killed off. There is only one thing I know of that is able to be permanent. I left some scripture verses on her pillow. 

( Food For The Soul) I typed them out for her to have. They are personal so I won't be sharing what I left her. But I will post two that are reminders  of the power in the Word of God. 

Isaiah 55:11 So shall My word be that goes forth from My mouth; It shall not return to me void, but shall accomplish what I please, and it shall prosper in the thing for which I sent it. 

Friends, you know the signs of family stress or fatigue, especially your own families. You know them and could send them a Scripture verse of encouragement. It lasts forever and goes out to do what God wants.

God bless, 

Marty

Split Pea and bacon soup recipe.

INGREDIENTS

  • 1 pound slab bacon in 1/4-inch-thick slices
    • 1 medium potato chopped
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 1 carrot, chopped
  • 1 stalk celery, chopped
  • 1 head garlic, cloves peeled and sliced thin or mince garlic
  •  Salt and black pepper
  • 1 pound dried green split peas, rinsed and picked over
  • 4 bay leaves
  • 2 to 3 quarts chicken stock  or ham bone stock
  • ½ bunch fresh thyme leaves, stripped from stems or powdered thyme
  •         I add a cup of sour cream
    • before serving. Wisk well.

PREPARATION

  1. Dice bacon into 1/4-inch cubes. Place in a heavy 6-quart pot over medium-low heat. Cook until fat is rendered and translucent. Add onion, carrot, celery and garlic. Cook until onion and garlic are soft and translucent. Season with salt and pepper.
  2. Add split peas, stir to coat with fat, and add bay leaves and 2 quarts stock. Increase heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat so soup simmers. Skim foam that rises to the surface for about 10 minutes, until no more appears. Add thyme leaves. Simmer uncovered about 1 hour or longer, until peas are soft and starting to fall apart. Add more stock, as needed.
  3. Remove soup from heat. Add salt and pepper to taste. Purée soup in a food processor in several batches, short of perfect smoothness; you should be able to spoon up some texture. Reheat soup, skimming off any foam. Stir from the bottom to mix well, then ladle into bowls and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment