Tuesday, January 12, 2021

Thinking About The Garden 1/12/2021

 Good Morning,

I awoke this morning and I had several people on my mind to pray for. So I am late in my writing to all of you today. My mug was filled with Door County German Chocolate Cake Coffee and it is going down very well this morning. 

Isaiah 40:31 But they who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up like wings of eagles; they shall mount up and not be weary; they shall walk and not be faint.

Psalm 27:13-14 I believe that I shall look upon the goodness of the Lord; in the land of the living. 14 Wait for the Lord; be strong, and let your heart take courage, wait for the Lord.

Yesterday as my wife Rene was transforming our house from Christmas back to winter normalcy the two of us were discussing the flower and vegetable gardens and the need to purchase some seeds and to start them indoors. She leaves the vegetable garden to me. Rene asked me what I thought we might be planting out there. I didn't answer as my mind was elsewhere. I was thinking about what might be pleasing to eat and what we enjoy canning and then using it later in the winter. 

Rene reached over and knocked on my forehead just as if she were knocking on a door and asked "is anyone home"?  I replied to her, "I was trying to think and nothing happened". My mind was stalled like a run down car at the busy intersection. My brain kicked in and I told her that I needed a day or two to pray, think and decide. It's not that I am unable to decide it's just whether or not I want to plant anything this year. Maybe we should give the ground a rest.

These last few months of pandemics, elections, and riots have taken their toll on my desire to plant anything or plan anything. Last year the garden produced a lot of tomatoes, squash, peppers, onions and garlic. Everything was pretty nice except for the garlic, which was my fault. I just didn't have the drying technique down. I guess, planning things ahead seems to be a waste of time these days. I would hate for the garden to be a huge disappointment. And a garden is always a gamble.

It is not very often that I feel this way. I am the one who usually looks to the future and it is not a "classic sign of depression" going on here. I will snap out of this with more Bible time and prayer. 

I just am going to follow my own advice and wait on the Lord to instill in me the desire to plant or not. 

God bless,

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment