Friday, January 8, 2021

A Broccoli Day 1/8/2021

 Good Morning,

Friday arrived right on time as I knew it would and I am glad to see it. I just poured a cup of Door County English Toffee Coffee and now it is time to write.


Not all the time but quite often my wife Rene and I will plan out our meals at the beginning of the week or before that. We both talk about some things we might want to eat at our evening meals. Rene is easy to please and I know her "I don't like that" items so I try to avoid making them or I will make two smaller portions of two items. But making two dining choices is done rarely. 

James 1:3-4 For you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have it's full effect , that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing. 

This last week Rene lobbied heavily for ham and broccoli melts. Which is really chopped ham, and chopped broccoli on an English Muffin covered with Swiss cheese. The one problem is that broccoli is not one of my favorite veggies. To be honest, it is my least favorite. Rene has bombarded me with health facts about broccoli and that it really does taste good. Health facts set aside I really don't like the taste of broccoli. I don't argue the point with her. Her taste is different than mine. I could make two different meals tonight but that would start something that I would not want to continue on the days when we have green peppers in our eggs. 

My point is this. I don't have to like it but I do need to respect her choice and tonight I will eat the broccoli laden ham and muffins without complaining or making comments like "I would rather eat cold hot dogs." So out of respect and wanting to keep our table a place where two people can gather to eat in peace I will make the meal, eat the meal, and know that more broccoli will be in my life throughout whatever years we have left. It is important that I don't plan a revenge meal of stuffed green peppers for tomorrow. That would be petty and not showing respect for others. Rene will easily endure some green peppers later if it is seen as something I really like and not a way of fighting the broccoli.

My point is this. We all will have our broccoli days with opinions, wants, and desires. You might not like them but you and I need to respect people who do. It is Biblical and that is how we should roll. Now that is not saying we should condone lawlessness. I was asked once not knowing all the facts on a subject at hand, what would cause that young person to steal? I found out that the person was heavily addicted to drugs and for many reasons had chosen that path. I went to visit this person in jail and found out why  the life choice was made. I didn't condone the action of stealing, but could respect the reason for the choice and understood the thought process. Healing from many years of problems needed to take place. (and it did)

So today might be a broccoli kind of day for some. You have to swallow something that doesn't align with your life taste. God knows what you are dealing with and broccoli days are just where He has you right now. He knows what is best and He is watching you grow as He feeds you day by day. Everyday can't be cake and ice cream, we would surely have a problem with that diet. We learn to respect others when we don't always get our way. It is how we handle the broccoli in our life that He is looking for.

Marty

3 comments: